The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

black eyed susans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: BLACK EYED SUSAN BUSH| Next thread: black eyed susans help »
Back to Thread index
by MissSylvia on July 18, 2006 11:26 AM
Hello everyone, my black eyed susans used to be the glory of my perennial garden, now something is happening to them. Something has eaten the pedals before and after they have bloomed and some of the stems appear to be deformed and flat. The green folage looks great, with a few holes but nothing like the flowers. I did see some very small beetles at one time and applyed a garden spray, but it doesnt seem to have helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
by dodge on July 18, 2006 01:15 PM
I been putting Sevin on my flowers....Talk abut holes, japanese beetles think they own my farm.

It stops them dead.

[grin]

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Deborah L. on July 18, 2006 01:27 PM
Hey, Dodge, are Japanese beetles round and brown and buzz?
I have some bugs that make lace of my plants' leaves. They buzz around at night, and get near the porch light.
I squash 'em and enjoy doing it, might I add !
Since I've started squashing them, my whole patio garden looks better.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 03:50 PM
I found a book called Rose's love Garlic, it says to take garlic cloves(but don't peel them) and plant them around your plants and it will keep the bugs off of them. I planted some around my rose bush and my hydrangea and I haven't had anymore bug problems.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by angelblossom on July 18, 2006 03:56 PM
Well I'm off to the kitchen to get the Garlic then ! I'll try anything right now does that go for all flowers and plants out side >>'

How far down in the soil do they go?? I'll be right back I'm going to see how many garlic I have!! [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 03:59 PM
I planted mine about an inch or two deep. Try to wait for the garlic to sprout. Apparently the bugs don't like the smell of garlic!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 04:00 PM
I planted it around all my plants, in my flowerbeds and throughout the yard!!

Monica

-

by Deborah L. on July 18, 2006 04:18 PM
Hey, I wonder if sprinkling garlic powder would do anything? Like on top of the soil.
My plants are all in containers.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on July 18, 2006 04:20 PM
And banana peels are supposed to be good for roses. I tried that but the squirrels dragged the peels away.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 04:28 PM
I don't know about the garlic powder? You know what they say "trail and error"! Squirrels dug up most of my bulbs, pesky little buggers!

Monica

-

by angelblossom on July 18, 2006 04:45 PM
thanks Gardenfairy!  - Glad to have you with us I went out side in the dark and put them in already around the roses [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: BLACK EYED SUSAN BUSH| Next thread: black eyed susans help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: