The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My poor south side

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: my poor roses| Next thread: My poor tree! »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on February 25, 2004 03:04 AM
So I've posted questions about this area of our property before and I've got some really great answers, but I got a new catelog in the mail today and there is a $20 gift certificate with it and I'm itching to use it! So, before I order plants for this side of the house, I want to again explain it's problems and see what people think of what I want to buy to plant in it. I'm using some ideas that Newt gave me, but I want to double check to make sure I'm thinking things through. The area of my property is the south side which I realize should be sunny, but its not. Its full shade...under 1 90 foot tall coniferous tree and a 70 foot tall deciduous tree (2nd tree is not on our property but is a VERY wide tree). So, I need something that grows in full shade well. Also, its a slow-draining area. After a heavy rain, it is not uncommon for water to sit there for about 12-24 hours. I'm looking to buy a hosta mix (the company will pick the varieties that I will get) that will come with 6 plants. I'm also looking at a fern combo. I'd get 3 each of ostrich fern and lady fern. So, what do you guys think??? The fern and hostas will be ok there?? I think they would look really good with each other. If I can only get one or the other (hostas or the ferns) which should I get??? [dunno]

As if I don't have enough choices, there is what is called a "shady perennial garden" choice. It comes with 18 plants: 2 each of white edged hostas and undulated variegata hostas, 2 old fashioned bleeding hearts, 3 each of fernleaf bleeding hearts and ostrich plume ferns, and 6 lilies of the valley. I'm trying to talk Stephen into letting me buy that package. The catelog says that it fills a 4x12 foot section, but I wouldn't make it into a rectangle arrangement. It would be more of a kidney shaped display. So....what do you all think??? Info is greatly appreciated. [critic]

-
 -

-
by Bess of the Piedmont on February 26, 2004 11:09 PM
Jennifer,

I think that the hostas and ferns are an excellent choice. The shade garden mix may be iffy, since I'm pretty sure that some of those plants prefer at least a couple of hours of sunlight per day to really bloom well.

I love the idea of a kidney-shaped garden. Much more naturalistic than a rectangle!

Good luck!

-
 -
by hisgal2 on February 27, 2004 02:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the few hours of light. I was really paying attention to the path of light for the last couple of days, and I was noticing that the area gets about 3 1/2.....MAYBE 4 hours of light once the sun dips down low enough to get under the bottom branch of the trees. I also think that really early sun might hit that spot too....I don't get up early enough to see it tho. [Smile] Do you think that those few hours will be ok?? Its not like its night time dark there....its just really shady. I don't know...I just really like the idea of the bleeding hearts. My Nanna had those in her yard.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on February 27, 2004 06:09 AM
Jennifer,
Go to this link here, there's some ideas on
shade plants...
Bluebonnets post/Shade resistant ideas

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by hisgal2 on February 27, 2004 04:43 PM
Thanks Weezie. I remember this thread, although I never continued to read all that everyone said. I wonder why??? Anyways, thanks a bunch. I've decided that I need to make my decision by Sunday morning because once we leave for vacation, things are going to be hectic. [nutz]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my poor roses| Next thread: My poor tree! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: