The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The right fence and gate - ideas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by allthumbs on February 11, 2004 07:44 PM
I'm planning on installing a gate and fence (both 6-ft high), to close off the garden, in anticiaption of getting a dog.

The gate will be 4 feet wide, and be at right angles to the fence, which will run 8ft down the edge of the lawn, to meet the patio wall.

Here's the question:

I originally planned to have a wrought iron gate, with a chain link fence, through which I would grow shrubs that would hide the fence as quickly as possible. However, since Boxwood takes 3,000 years to grow above 6 feet, and other "living fence" plants aren't much speedier, I began to explore other options. I thought of putting up some sort of frame, against which I could install reed facing, and then I realised I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have suggestions as to materials to use, and the like? I want a low-maintenance, aesthetically attractive, relatively uncomplicated strucutre, that can keep a dog in, screen the garden from public view, etc...

With thanks - in advance - for any suggestions forthcoming!!

-
by catlover on February 11, 2004 09:04 PM
By garden do you mean a veggie garden? I don't have any ideas yet but was wondering about your light situation....have you thought about whether the fence will allow enough light to whatever you are growing on the other side?

Is this going in the front yard? I was under the impression you wanted a drought tolerant front??? [dunno] [dunno]

What kind of dog? Some are real high jumpers?

-
 -
 -
by papito on February 12, 2004 04:43 PM
If the fence (and the gate) will be installed in the front yard, you need to check with your local planning commission first for height limit. Depending on the California city/county, most front yard fences are limited to 4ft. high and the backyard fences to 6ft. high.

Should your pet be a Jack Parson Terrier/Jack Russell, 6ft is not high enough to keep the dog in. Like Catlover said, there are breeds of dogs that are high jumpers.

Have you considered lattice (plastic or wood) for a fence material? The lattice measures about 4ft. X 8ft. and can be nailed to (or sandwiched between) 4" x 4" x 8ft. posts. An 8-foot post yield a 6-foot post above ground level (2-ft below ground).

Kmart sells 4-ft. decorative metal gate for under $200, a lot less when on sale.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by catlover on February 12, 2004 06:47 PM
Ooooh I like that lattice idea and that would let the light through!

Ummmm some dogs dig [Roll Eyes] !!! Sorry to point out all the bad stuff....just a thought, you might want consider bury something around base to prevent even the slightest idea of digging!!!! [dunno]

But you will have the perfect dog that won't jump, dig, bark, or chew on anything....!!!!

-
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on February 13, 2004 12:13 AM
English Ivy grows REALLY quickly. You'll just have to watch it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere that you don't want it to. It even grows during the winter! But you could put that on a chain link fence. The plastic lattice is really nice. It comes in white or brown. The best part of that is that you won't have to paint it or worry about it getting damage that wood could get.

-
 -

-
by rue anemone on February 13, 2004 02:34 PM
I have a 6 foot black chain link fence in the back. The black color is nice. You can not see the black as well as the silver.

Here is a picture of my chain link fence with a wooden arbor attached and virgin`s bower growing on it. On the other side of the lattice I have 3 8 feet tall japanese yews.

http://groups.msn.com/IrvingtonGardenClub/windflowercottage.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=85

During the summer the clematis completely blocks the view and then in the winter I can see a bit of the golf course.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 13, 2004 04:42 PM
Nicholas,
Here's some bamboo things, The first one is;
Bamboo that hides chain link fences

The second is some gate ideas???Bamboo fences

The third is just some neat ideas...
Bamboo ideas

The ideas are bountiful with bamboo..
Do you like that look???
Can be maybe a bit pricey, but I understand,
it lasts a very long time, very durable!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by allthumbs on February 15, 2004 03:19 AM
Wow! So many ideas, I don't know where to start!!

But I'll try:

This is for a back yard, and I'll be getting a largish dog (something like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Swiss Mountain Dog, or Anatolian Shepherd...). They *can* jump high, but I plan to have them trained not to. This is as much a Psychological barrier as physical!

Papito, thanks for your thoughts- in Burbank, they are even stingier with the front yard specs (3 feet!). Lattice would, I'm afraid, be either too high maintenance if wood (upkeep), and too flimsy if out of plastic, considering it's an 8X6 piece.

Jennifer Vermeire, have you had experience with this much of a chunk of the plastic lattice? Would welcome your insight. As to the Ivy, I've had some experience with English Ivy, and have only one clear memory: rats!

Rue anemone, the Black Chain link might be a good idea - and perhaps I can grow Privet hedge through it?...

Weezie, YOU ARE A JOY TO BEHOLD!!!

These links will give me much to think about and consider, thanks!

In the meantime, here is the spot I'm planning on enclosing (4' wide gate, and 8' long fence - marked by red line):
 -

-
by catlover on February 15, 2004 05:18 AM
My parents have the black chain link...it DOES look really nice!

-
 -
 -
by loz on February 15, 2004 07:44 AM
I HATE chain link fence.....it's nice to move into a house with a fence though like we did, but trying to cover it up is hard.....they are just so ugly to me, and prisonlike.....just not natural or pretty. If we ever refence the yard I'd like to get the white vinyl fencing....sure it looks kind of plasticy but it'll last forever with no maintainence. My parents yard is fence with a long wood privacy fence that he made all by himself.....took a while and it has to be stained ever few years....it's nice but a lot of upkeep.....they have boxed lattice panels attached to the top of each section of fence, and just to point out--staining lattice is very difficult.....it took my dad forever when he restained everything last year.

Hope you find the perfect fence for you!!!!!!
by papito on February 15, 2004 04:47 PM
Something to consider......

http://www.classicartsource.com/fence1.htm

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by Jillie on February 15, 2004 04:56 PM
papito, those are wonderful! Hmmmm [lala] I wonder if my landlady would object to our concrete retaining wall being "dressed up?" [dunno]
This is dangerous..... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Flower on February 15, 2004 05:12 PM
WOW.....I like that!

-
by weezie13 on February 15, 2004 05:27 PM
I love the water fall one!!

So neat!!

Hey Barb, you think that would last the winters??

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Flower on February 15, 2004 05:46 PM
Ummm.....not on wood it wouldn't....but on cement...oh yeah.

-
by allthumbs on February 16, 2004 03:28 AM
Hey! I wanted you guys to simplify my life, not complicate it by coming up with all sorts of wonderful things I hadn't even thought of!! [perplexed] Now I have one more thing to rack my brain...thanks, Papito! [Confused]

Kidding!

The murals really are lovely, and we are already considering one for the wall inside the patio. As for this fence, I want the fence to blend quietly with the surrounding architecture, while also sprucing things up a little (hence not interested in more wall...)

I think I'm leaning toward Weezie's bamboo fencing, and now need tosee how much that plus the chain link framework will cost. I'll post a picture as soon as the final is up!

-
by rue anemone on February 16, 2004 07:55 PM
LOL all these ideas are wonderful the murals are too cool.

Have any of you seen mirrors hanging on fences? Those are really neat too. I have been collecting little mirrors and pieces of broken mirrors to hang on my fence. In a dark corner they increase the light, make your garden seem bigger, etc.

I have heard mention a fear that birds would fly into them. What do all of you think?

-
 -
by write2rellie on February 17, 2004 12:42 AM
not to confuse things more, but on a Curb Appeal or Landscaper's challenge episode I saw them build a "wall" of vines and they hung a wooden frame window in the "wall" It looked awesome. I don't know how or IF it could be incorporated into your fence/gate, but thought I'd throw another idea into the pot. [Wink]

-
rellie
by hisgal2 on February 17, 2004 04:21 AM
Sorry it has taken me a long time to respond. Things have been absolutely crazy for me this past week or so. I work thursday-saturdays and am exhausted when I get home (I walk the entire time that I'm working). Anyways, I have not been able to use the plastic lattice, but it is definately not flimsy. Its kind of heavy, actually. I looked at it pretty closely when I was at the "big blue home improvment" place. You can cut it with a saw to whatever hieght or length you want it and then the edges of it get a strip put around them so you don't see the cut edges. So with those strips, the lattice is not flimsy...pretty sturdy. They have posts and such also. You can find them in the lumber section of the blue place (didn't know if I could actually put the name of the place in the forum...don't know the rules about that).

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on February 17, 2004 04:24 AM
Post script...

Stephen mentioned that we will need a taller fence around our garden than what I planned on putting around it. i wanted something that was pretty....not necessarily functional. Then he reminded me that we have deer that walk right through our backyard. Any ideas?? He says I'll need something tall. ButI don't want it to block the sun to the plants because the sun comes up from behind the mountain behind us and doesn't really shine on our backyard until about 10 AM in the summer. Any ideas?? I think I'll post this question as a new topic so that it doesn't interfere with allthumbs' question. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by allthumbs on February 17, 2004 04:38 AM
I have no problem with expanding this forum into "What are the best ideas re. fencing in our gardens?" - sometimes we learn things tangentially...

Speaking of which - I spent this afternoon visiting ironworks, getting bids on the manufacture and installation of gates and fences. Came home, still mulling over the "bamboo facing" idea, and my neighbour asked me why I wasn't considering what he had - which is a very handsome redwood fence and gate. He purchased everything at Home D**** (now, we're all scared to mention companies!!) for less than $200...I replied that I didn't want to be resealing and coating the wood every other year, and he said he had done it once in 6 years!! It looks great, so I'm now thoroughly up confusion creek! Does anyone have an opinion borne of experience, re. redwood fencing and the possibility that I wouldn't have to bother too much with slopping stuff on it biannually?

....I guess the good news is I'm definitely focusing on only two possibilities: Bamboo or redwood. The bad news is I don't seem capable of making up my doshgarned mind!!

-
by rue anemone on February 19, 2004 03:36 AM
LOL I love this thread. This is how I think and it drives my hubby crazy, jumping form one thought to another!

write2rellie, that sounds like a really neat idea.

-
 -
by papito on February 19, 2004 10:47 PM
Let me throw in a little more info to totally confuse you.

Redwood can withstand insects and rots and holds well...they are expected to last for 15 years without chemical treatment; It is also very affordable.

We have 3 sides of the backyard with redwood fence now going 15 years and haven't had any problem so far.

This is a new twist:
http://www.boundary-fences.com/id27.htm

So, whether you pick the Bernese Mt. dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback or the Anatolian Shepherd dog, s/he will probably enjoy the aesthetic beauty of your fence as well, whether it is made of any type of wood, redwood or bamboo.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by weezie13 on February 20, 2004 01:56 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooh,
I am soooooooooooooooooo there!!!!!

What a wonderful look at all those ideas!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
I want one, or two, or three!!!!

I love the gong for the back yard,
what fun way to call the kids
*and half the neighborhood* to dinner!!!
Oh yeah!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by allthumbs on February 20, 2004 06:33 PM
OK. let the rumination begin...chain link and bamboo, or redwood?...chain link and bamboo, or redwood?...chain link and bamboo, or redwood? Chunky Monkey, or New York Chocolate Fudge?...oh, that's another struggle...

This weekend will involve much spousal discussion, as we hone in on a final choice!

Stay tuned for next week's exciting installment of "Landscaper's Challenge"!!

-
by gardengal on February 20, 2004 06:51 PM
Chunky Monkey [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh, and I like the redwood idea too. Your house looks a bit more of the craftsman style (from what I can tell) and I think redwood would compliment it nicely. [thumb]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by allthumbs on February 24, 2004 12:40 AM
So, based on the wisdom of the Great Sage Papito, I'm going for the Redwood.

tada! Decision made!

It's pouring with rain in LA currently, so can't do much of anything though but, as soon as it clears up, we're pouring concrete, sinking posts, then - once that's hardened, we'll build the fence and gates!

I'll post a pic once it's all done.

-
by weezie13 on February 24, 2004 12:46 AM
[thumb] [clappy]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by catlover on February 25, 2004 07:16 AM
quote:
Chunky Monkey, or New York Chocolate Fudge?...
and the decision on the ice-cream was.......????? [dunno]

Congrats on the final decision!

-
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on February 25, 2004 04:00 PM
Ooh....Chunky Monkey for me!!!! Has anyone ever heard of the Scooperbowl?? It's held every June in Boston as a fund raiser for the Jimmy Fund. For less than $10, you get all the ice cream you want for the entire day!! Companies like Breyers, Haagendaz, and Ben and Jerry's supply the ice cream and this year AT&T is supplying toppings!! [Smile] Stephen and I are going up for it this year as part of our summer vacation. What can be better than ice cream and raising money to help kids!? [Cool]

-
 -

-
by write2rellie on March 11, 2004 10:56 PM
Hey AllThumbs- [wayey]
how's the fence project going? What about the front yard? Have you found any more low maintenence Ca plants? Post pics please, when you have time.
Thanks! [thumb]

-
rellie
by weezie13 on March 11, 2004 11:47 PM
Rellie,
You were readin' my mind, I was
thinking of the fence and the outcome
myself!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Great minds think alike!!
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by allthumbs on March 19, 2004 04:26 PM
Things are moving VERY slowly (The New England work ethic just doesn't exist out here!)

This is where we were a couple of days ago. Hoping the weekend brings more action! I've got a new job, so go off to work at 6AM, and don't get home til 8PM, no chance to play "foreman"!
 -

-
by write2rellie on March 19, 2004 05:37 PM
Hey, it's a start! [thumb] did you hire out, ir are you do-it-yourself-ers?

-
rellie
by allthumbs on March 21, 2004 01:25 AM
A little of both: we have a friend who is a handyman. We hired out for the cement guys, and then we and the handyman went shopping for the wood, planted the posts, I designed the fence and gates, and he is now building them in his shop.

More pictures as things develop!

-
by allthumbs on April 10, 2004 02:11 AM
So we recently got this far, and I was sorely tempted to stop right here. There's something quite attractive about this...

-

-
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 02:16 AM
I like it!!!

You know you almost could stop there????

Maybe a flowering vine or two to fill in most
of it????

Very nice Nicholas!!!

What was the next step if you do fill it in???
Just curious!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by allthumbs on April 10, 2004 03:43 AM
TA-DAH!!
How this for good n done!?

-

-
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2004 03:55 AM
awesome [thumb] looks great!
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 08:02 AM
Very Nice Nicholas!!
I like that alot!!!

Very Professional looking!!

What is that great plant that's by the
fence??? Great looking plant!!!!

How long did it take?
And was it hard to do??

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by catlover on April 10, 2004 07:53 PM
Fantastic Job Allthumbs!!!! [thumb] Looks super!!! And well worth the time and effort. Now you can get your doggie....figure out what breed yet? [dunno]

Weezie if your talking about the blooming plant...that is a bouganvilla!!!! [thumb]

[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by write2rellie on April 11, 2004 07:03 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

yes, "good and done" and ya done good! [thumb]

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
rellie
by allthumbs on April 11, 2004 08:01 AM
Correct! Bougainvillea (sp?). To the left is a succulent in the white pot. The garden is looking fantastic right now and, while this fence was indeed built to keep the dog(s) in, I almost dread their arrival, given how they will no doubt dig and tear up my tranquil garden sanctuary...!

We're aiming for June or July canine additions to the family. Will advise as and when it happens in the Banter Hall. Guess now that this fence is done, so is this post. See y'all on the other side!

N

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: