The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

growing onions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Old| Next thread: growing passion flowers indoors? »
Back to Thread index
by ritchie902 on February 17, 2005 10:21 PM
can you grow onions from an onion bought from the grocery store, if so how? thanks.
by Longy on February 18, 2005 04:53 AM
can you grow onions from an onion bought from the grocery store, if so how
++++++++
Hi Ritchie. The seemingly simple question is difficult to answer. To say that you bought a fullsize normal onion from the store, and turn it into many onions you'd need to plant it again as an onion set and wait till it went to seed then plant the seeds. It may not grow or it may not seed. Many people, esp those with a short growing season, use onion sets as they are faster than growing from seeds. The idea is to grow some onions very close together in poor soil so at maturity they are very small, say 1" in diameter or less. You dry and store these over winter. Then once the soil has warmed again you replant the sets in good well limed soil with not too much nitrogen fertilisers in it and the little onions will regrow, very quickly filling out to become very large onions if given enough space. What exactly are you trying to achieve?
by tkhooper on January 03, 2006 01:25 AM
Hi longy. I have one of those onions. Is it possible to put it in a pot and let it go to seed now? Of course it is mid-winter here so I know it's not going to be easy. But I can never get the sets when I want them for one reason or another so I would like to try this if there is the slightest chance.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Old| Next thread: growing passion flowers indoors? »
Back to Thread index