The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I'm so excited

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on July 04, 2006 01:19 AM
I just got back from shoppers and they have miniature roses 3 pots for 12 dollars and each pot has 4 plants in it so it's a good deal.

My money is very tight so I could only buy one pot but I got a very nice pink called "Kordana" I planted them over where all the roses will go when I get organized. Although why I worry about organizing I don't know. Next year I'll probably be leaving here and not be able to take any of my plants along.

I have a question. Now that I have two different colors of miniature roses I guess I don't dare say that the seeds will be of any particular color right? Due to cross polination. Is that right?

-
 -
by dodge on July 04, 2006 01:34 PM
Dont know about cross.

But why do you buy, when your sayin Good bye?

dodge [Eek!]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Tonya on July 05, 2006 12:45 AM
How do you get seeds from roses?? Would love to know how to do this! [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on July 05, 2006 01:13 AM
After a rose blooms and dies and then looses all of it's petals the "hip" will turn red/brown at that point snip it off and turn it upside down and shake. The seeds will fall out. I'm working with miniatures so the seeds and the chaff are about the same size so I usually have to plant the entire fallout using the rake method of planting. I'm still waiting for my first sprouts. They should be up around the 15th of this month. I'm very excited.

Dodge,

I will try to take my favorite plants with me. That of course includes the miniature roses and the peonies first and foremost, with the glads and ornamental onions next in line. And on and on from there. I'll try to take so many plants I'll probably have to give up my furniture lol. I really love gardening. And if I can't take the plants I'll still have all the seeds I have collected and traded for. So it won't be a complete loss.

-
 -
by Tonya on July 05, 2006 01:39 AM
Very cool! Thank you so much...kinda silly, but I never thought of roses having seeds.. [nutz] [lala]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on July 05, 2006 01:52 AM
I didn't either until I read about it. They are suppose to be difficult to germinate so be prepared for some work.

Have you tried proprogating from cuttings with your roses? I tried but didn't have any luck this spring. I plan to try again this fall. I have my fingers crossed.

-
 -
by Tonya on July 05, 2006 02:00 AM
I have not tried to propagate at all, yet...I am trying to move the "wild" roses from my back yard...I didn't know they were here! [Big Grin] The only other rose I have is a Fiesty and it has the tag that says propogation is prohibited...try saying that 3 times fast!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I will definitely try to get seeds, tho! shhhhhh! don't tell on me! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 05, 2006 03:52 PM
Tammy...hope m not being 'nosy'...where r u moving to n why?
[wavey]

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by Triss on July 05, 2006 04:33 PM
Tammy, I am sure you will manage to take a lot more than you think. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Tonya, how do they expect anyone not to propogate a plant that you bought???

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on July 06, 2006 05:05 AM
I don't know where I'll be moving. Virginia wants to widen Route 1 and my building is right on it so......when they do I'm out of an apartment. It's scary even thinking about it. But I'll do what I can.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum