The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Winter Bathroom Project-picture heavy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: wine recipes| Next thread: Winter Bathroom Project-picture heavy »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2 3
by Triss on September 17, 2006 05:54 AM
We have a great bathroom, perfect for plants due to a large skylight and lots of mirrors. It is very bright in there.

I have been slowly adding plants but this winter I plan on making the space into an indoor jungle of sorts.

Here is what I started with.

The counter
 -

Between the tub and counter
 -

Corner above toilet
 -

Bathtub
 -

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on September 17, 2006 05:55 AM
And what I have done so far.

The counter
 -

Ivy I recieved from Angie.
 -

Wandering Jew I recieved from Becky.
 -

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 05:57 AM
Between the tub and counter

I have hibiscus in front of the rack.
 -

African Violet and Spider Plant on the rack.
 -

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 05:59 AM
I have not done anything with the corner above the toilet yet, but working on the tub.

-

Ivy, Avocado and a Spider Plant that I got from Patty.
 -

And another avocado in the other corner of the tub.
 -

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 06:03 AM
So the plan from here is to put up a rack of sorts over the tub to be able to hang plants from, a shelf across the back corner of the tub and a lattice trellis to the left of the tub for morning glory to climb. All of this will be painted a fall orange or rust. I think I also want some lattice on either side of the mirror over the sink for the ivy to climb. Also some kind of hanging plant in the corner over the toilet.

Any idea of what else may do well in this space?

-
 -
by kennyso on September 17, 2006 07:55 AM
Beautiful, just beautiful...when will you have time to help me redecorate my room and turn it into a jungle LOL???

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by netwiz on September 17, 2006 08:39 AM
I love it! I can't wait to see the finished project... please keep us posted!

Joanne
by angelblossom on September 17, 2006 08:47 AM
Triss a pitcher plant would work well in there the humidity probably would be at a pretty good level with baths and showers especially because you have a skylight and mirrors [thumb] I could cut you off a piece of mine I've never tried to grow from a cut start tho my research says it can be done If your willing to give it a shot pm me and I'll send you a start tho it might take a year or two before it developes pitchers and only takes distilled or rain water Not TAP,, or fertilizers ( actually once a year verrry dilutted super thrive) but the conditions seems pretty darn good,, I have mine in my bedroom window facing east with only about 30-40percent humidity and it seems to like it okay/ [dunno] [grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 09:02 AM
Thanks you guys. I am looking forward to getting more and more green in there and for the plants I have started to grow and fill out more.

I PMed you Diane! [grin]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 17, 2006 09:12 AM
[thumb] it's looking good triss!
by Dixie Angel on September 17, 2006 09:20 AM
You could, also, buy those fake vine garlands and tack them around your mirrors, Triss. I did that to my guest bathroom and it looks pretty good. I have a pothos and a philodendrun in that bathroom since it has a skylight, too....

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 09:26 AM
Thanks Jiffy.

I do have a heart shaped philo in my livingroom Dianna, I should start some cuttings of that, but I do not want fake vines, I am really hoping to get the real ones to grow. I also want to get one of my dieffenbachia's in there once I get the shelf and a few more AV's.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 17, 2006 09:40 AM
Triss, my philo and pothos are real and are in baskets on either side of the mirror. I tacked the plastic vines around the mirror. My plants try to latch on to it. I am sort of hoping they will train themselves to follow it...

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 09:47 AM
Oh well, now that is a good thought. May have to rethink the fake vines then. [thumb]

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 17, 2006 09:49 AM
It gives them something to cling to...

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 09:57 AM
How does the philo cling? I have mine in the livingroom and they are growing great and the vines getting long, but they are not even trying to grow up the plant hanger or even wrap around it at all. Just the other day I pulled two of the longest vines up and through the top part of the hanger so they can continue to grow cuz I eventually want a big full plant. How would I train them to actually grow up the hanger though?

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 17, 2006 10:32 AM
Not sure how, Triss, but mine do it. [dunno] I have had to peel some of the things off my wall and mirror!

I have been trimming mine lately. I am thinking I need to start some new ones. These have leaves that I think are too big. They don't look as pretty as they used to...

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 10:33 AM
I guess mine is just being persnickity then. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by angelblossom on September 17, 2006 10:35 AM
Triss why couldn't you use tomato ties it's 'stretchy' and green. OR you could weave it in and out of the lattace and with that you wouldn't even need to use any training tie ..BY weaving it carefully you can direct its growth.. If you want coverage faster start several at the bottom and space the pots out. There are even wire baskets that have hooks on them that hook on lattace I use one for my lattace out side just because I didn't want the pot on the ground. I got it at dollar general for 2.oo It can't handle a heavy pot but if you had a couple of them hooked on it could be used as a filler untill your vines started getting longer .. I had a house in KS had a sunroom I used two old chain links fences made frames for them and placed 3"
from the glass and nailed those frames straight into the floor and ceiling and grew phil' , and Hyiencyth Bean vines. It didn't produce as many bloom but the vining was awesome It took a couple of years to fill in but it was worth the wait. I had pots on the floor and every other one was phili' and HBean Vine the wall (floor length was 15 ft and Floor to ceiling was 9 FT I sat the frames on the window side of the room(SOUTH_WEST) even in the winter it still was green ,, Didn't mean to go on and on But just to let you know It can be done with enough bright light! [grin] [thumb]

-
 -
by Triss on September 17, 2006 10:39 AM
I am planning on weaving the morning glory once I get that going in the bathroom, but for now my philos are just in macrame hangers here in the livingroom. No real place here for lattice. The ties are a good idea though.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 17, 2006 11:05 AM
It looks great Triss! Are you thinking of putting any ferns in there? They love the humidity of a bathroom, and you would have great lighting for them.

oooooooooh - you've got to get a Rabbits foot fern! [thumb] [clappy]
Do you have any of those yet - I love them, but cannot grow them in my oh-so-dry house! [Razz]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Triss on September 17, 2006 01:46 PM
I had not thought about ferns, until this year when I got one from Bill, I did not like them. Now I love them so I should think about it. That rabbits foot fern is way cool! Yep, it is going on the list! That would look great in a hanger in the corner above the toilet.

-
 -
by Tonya on September 17, 2006 08:25 PM
quote:
How does the philo cling?
The aerial roots that are put out at the "notches" of the stem somehow attach to the wall (or glass, or whatever is nearby). You can pull them off easily, but they grow some strong attachments pretty quick!

Your bathroom is going to look awesome!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by melcon6 on September 17, 2006 10:53 PM
I think I read your mind Lynne, I was also thinking of fern. Although, I don't think it is a "true" fern, what about Asparagus fern. They love the humidity too.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Triss on September 17, 2006 11:54 PM
Mine don't have those Tonya, I wonder why? They are healthy so I guess that is all that matters. I really need to read more about them I guess.

Mel, What do you mean "true" fern?

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 18, 2006 12:09 AM
quote:
The aerial roots that are put out at the "notches" of the stem somehow attach to the wall (or glass, or whatever is nearby).
So that's what they are called! I have been just calling them sucker thing-a-ma-bobs. [Embarrassed]

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on September 18, 2006 12:17 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] That is as good a name as any Dianna! Works for me!

-
 -
by Tonya on September 18, 2006 12:18 AM
Triss, all my "ivy" (either philo, or pothos, etc.) have those things...

I don't know if they are "technically" called aerial roots or not, but they are roots.
I am uploading pics...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on September 18, 2006 12:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing them. I will take pics of mine too here in a bit.

-
 -
by Tonya on September 18, 2006 12:47 AM
Not too sure what kind of ivy this is, but it has them-
 -

and my pothos(one of many)-
 -

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on September 18, 2006 01:31 AM
That first one looks like my heart leafed philo. In taking a closer look at mine, there are a few small roots starting to grow, that is cool!

-
 -
by Tonya on September 18, 2006 01:35 AM
Are the leaves very small on the heart leaf? I have a philo that has HUGE leaves, for some reason I thought they were all large leaves... [dunno] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on September 18, 2006 01:53 AM
Here is my plant, the one I pulled the vines up into the hanger. And then the leaves against my hand so you can see the size.

-

-

-
 -
by Tonya on September 18, 2006 02:19 AM
That looks JUST like mine! [thumb] Thanks Triss! LOVE the little blue and grey pots on the shelf...how cute!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on September 18, 2006 02:40 AM
Those are my baby AV's, the pots inside the blue are plastic containers.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 18, 2006 08:22 PM
mel is right - an asparagus fern would do very well in there - I had one in the kids' bathroom for years!!! Til I put it outside one summer and it fried! I did buy 2 small ones this summer - they were being sold as "accent" plants at HD in small pots. I never did get around to using them - will have to pot them up in a hanging pot and put them back in the bathroom - thanks mel! [thumb] [kissies]

Triss - the tips of these ferns look like tiny asparagus when they are new sprouts. They can also get red berries if they are happy. Be careful though... they are pretty prickly.

I tried to post a link, but have been having problems doing that the past 2 days - don't know what I'm doing wrong?

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 19, 2006 03:32 AM
Yes, Lynne, they are easy to fry out in full, hot sun, they like it to be dappled or partial.

I've fried mine a couple of times moving it outside in the summer, but not enough to kill it, just enough to re-juvenate it! [thumb]

It's actually the only houseplant that hasn't committed suicide on me! They love the humidity of the bathroom, also misting.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Triss on September 19, 2006 03:38 AM
Ok, asparagas fern on the list as well. I need some plants I can mist. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on September 24, 2006 07:09 AM
Triss,

Looking good, but you'll have more than a jungle once all those plants start growing and it won't take long in the humidity of the bathroom. I couldn't imagine my spider plant in the same spots as yours, mine was huge.

But have fun and good luck, I love how your bathroom looks. Keep us updated as you go.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Triss on September 24, 2006 11:12 AM
Oh I sure will. I will have new pics this week cuz we went out and bought wood and paint today. We decided on a deep rich orange for the paint, burnt sienna, it is bright and so pretty. Got the lattice and shelf pieces and Dan also wanted to put in a cedar picket fence so we got wood for that as well. That wood will not be painted at all, just sanded pieces and I may do a little decorative painting on some of the pieces. Will have to see how that goes. The picket fence is going to go along the wall opposite of the sink and then wrap around the walles next to the toilet and end at the shower. Dan is really into this project now too so hopefully it will move along fast.

-
 -
by Triss on September 25, 2006 03:13 AM
We are getting work done today.

The lattice already cut and up against the wall without paint.
 -

The pickets for the fence up against the wall.
 -

Dan working hard.
 -

The lattice in the process of being painted.
 -

-
 -
by angelblossom on September 25, 2006 03:44 AM
Triss:>>> Question is there going to be a small space between the wall and lattice work to weave plant(s) in and out of slats ?? That would look awesome filled in!

-
 -
by Triss on September 25, 2006 03:56 AM
Yes, we are going to attach the lattice to the wall with a 2x2 at the top and bottom.

-
 -
by myndful on September 25, 2006 04:09 AM
Do you have plans yet for the space above the shower door? Maybe a plastic lattice with vines, or some hanging planters?

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by Triss on September 25, 2006 04:31 AM
No plans for that space yet, in fact I never even though about that. We do have some extra lattice left over that we cut off the big piece. Will have to see what that looks like up there.

-
 -
by SpringFever on September 25, 2006 10:43 AM
That is going to look incredible Triss!! I really love the look of the area!! it will look like a great jungle!! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Triss on September 25, 2006 10:47 AM
Thanks Rita! I cannot wait to get it all done. I have the go ahead to get some full sized plants to fill in the area quickly. I do not often buy plants that are already all grown up so it will be fun.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on September 26, 2006 05:09 AM
Triss..I had no idea you had a thread about your bathroom....I've been looking so forward to it and it's been here the whole time. Duh! [perplexed]

Looks fantastic! Like I've mentioned to you before...neither of my bathrooms have a windows so I'll have to look into plants that will do well with no sunlight.
I just love yours! What a beautiful place to awaken to for your morning shower! Love it!
Christina

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 26, 2006 08:25 AM
Looking good so far, Triss!
I really like the color too! It will definitely feel like the fall colors in there when you are done.

And I love the picket fence idea -
will definitely give it the outdoorsy feel in there!

A friend of mine here has a skylight in her bathroom too, and grows orchids in there. I know they are pretty expensive, but have you considered that? Maybe as a gift or special occassion?

-
 -
by Triss on September 26, 2006 11:24 AM
Thanks you two! It is coming together. Dan got some of the pickets up today but the spacing is off. I am going to play with that tomorrow and then take pics. He does not like the wood he used behind the pickets though and wants to change that later.

As for orchids, they are beautiful plants, but a lot of work as well. I do not think I could keep up with them. I do want to start forcing hyacinth and other bulbs to have a constant supply of flowers in there.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wine recipes| Next thread: Winter Bathroom Project-picture heavy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: