The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Preventing Damping-Off Tips...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Preventing Damping-Off Tips...| Next thread: prices »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2 3
by Chrissy on April 13, 2004 06:46 AM
I just found these tips in a garden magazine & I thought I would share them. Some of them I have heard & or used before, but a couple were brand new to me.

Help with Damping-Off...

Soak your seeds in a small amount of water and a clove of crushed garlic to prevent damping-off.

Cinnamon acts as a fungicide & prevents damping-off, may be shaken on top of soil or mixed in to potting mix.

Mist your plants with Chamomile tea as a preventative measure to guard against damping-off.

Spread sphagnum moss in a thin layer on the surface of your soil to prevent damping-off.

Fireplace ash on the top of your seedling soil prevents damping-off.

-
 -
z5b
by weezie13 on April 13, 2004 07:56 AM
Thanks Chrissy,
I will tell my neighbor those hints and tips!
She planted some tomato or cucumber seeds and her's died from that! I'll send 'em over tomorrow!!

Thanx!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on April 13, 2004 08:29 AM
I use chamomile tea with success to water seedlings. The key is to just mist or sprinkle, you still don't want to saturate the soil. I make a quart of tea at a time by tearing open 4 tea bags and emptying them into a 4 cup measuring cup. Then I pour 4 cups of boiling water over the tea leaves, cover the measuring cup with a plate and let it cool to room temperature before using. obywan59@hotmail.com

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Bess of the Piedmont on April 13, 2004 07:48 PM
Wow! Cool tips!

I'm interested in the cinnamon-shaking one. I wonder if one ought to keep the cinnamon off the seedling, though? Anyone know?

-
 -
by IowaNovice on April 14, 2004 12:04 AM
Bess....I've been starting seeds for the first time this year and heard of the cinnamon recipe, so I have been using it...I just sprinle it on top of the soil and some ALWAYS gets on the seedling....it doesn't seem to be bothering any of them....but maybe someone else has more experience. I sure haven't lost any seedlings to damping off when using this.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Preventing Damping-Off Tips...| Next thread: prices »
Back to Thread index