The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how to germinate passion flower seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on June 30, 2006 12:33 PM
Hi all, I received a packet of passion flower seeds. I would like to know how to grow these flowers. I have read that the seeds should be sown fresh, however, the seeds in the packet were dry. I would like to know how to germinate these seeds and whether or not the fact that the seeds were dried would affect them germinating. Thank you for your help.

kennyso

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by peppereater on June 30, 2006 03:14 PM
I've heard they need to be nicked, notched or sanded before you germinate them. The seed coats are very thick. You would then want to soak them for at least 24 hours. I don't know what sown "fresh" means. Other than that, you could plant them in the ground now and hope for germination next year, sometime in May or June in your area.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by PAR_Gardener on June 30, 2006 04:50 PM
I believe that the "sown fresh" means that the seeds don't remain viable for very long: i.e. not like some vegetable seeds which will still germinate 10 years after they were harvested.

Kennyso, any seed you buy is going to be dry so that's not any indication of how old the seed is. Check the packet for a date. If it doesn't have one, plant them ASAP. The longer you wait the less "fresh" they will be.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by dodge on July 01, 2006 01:12 PM
Good heavens, I just stuck mine in the soil ..You mean 12 months for a sign Of growth?

I better mark the location.

dodge [critic]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by kennyso on July 01, 2006 11:06 PM
The seed packet was in a different language (Spanish?) and I couldn't read it. However, I know enough spanish to read that seeds need 7-21 dias (days?) to germinate and the seeds are viable from "Out 06" to 'Out 07;" I take it it means they are 'germinatable' until october 2007? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you for all the help,

Kenny

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by dodge on July 02, 2006 12:59 AM
ken,

Beats me, I speak no spanish......I'm polish...

Kopish? Thats italian.
DObranoce is Polish ( Goodnite)

I am going to watch mine close..
Is it a perennial?

dodge [flower]

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 02, 2006 01:04 AM
I have some sown too and am waiting for next year to see the cute little sprouts. I'm lucky I know they are fresh because Nor just sent them to me from malaysia. That's just one of the reasons I love this forum.

Good luck with your seeds. And I hope you enjoy your garden as much as I enjoy mine.

-
 -
by kennyso on July 02, 2006 01:51 AM
dodge,
I'm not sure if it's a perennial where you live but I'm pretty sure it isn't up here in Canada. I've been taught that plant which grows in Malaysia or anywhere else that's hot, it probably isn't a perennial here. But who knows, maybe if we bring it in during the winter, it might just survive!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by dodge on July 02, 2006 06:57 AM
gotcha

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: