The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potted herbs in winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by jbo on November 17, 2004 09:24 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me out...
I have potted thyme, chives, greek oregano and tarragon that have done very well outside all summer. As the nights got colder, I brought them inside, and they were doing well, but now I'm not sure that I did the right thing. I didn't re-pot them, and they're only getting diffused light from a southern window. Can I put them back outside to give them a rest for the winter? Is there anything I should do to re-acclimatize them? It hasn't snowed yet, but the nights are sub-zero temperatures.
Thanks
by weezie13 on November 19, 2004 05:32 AM
jbo,
Chives are a good possibility,
They are very hardy and multiply readily if
you don't cut the flowers heads off...
I started with one pot of them,
I now have 6 clumps after 5 years with them.

What growing zone are you in??
This one here says it's okay up to zone 6. Greek Oregano

And Tarragon is also iffy depending on your zone,
I didn't think it was too cold hardy, I know it's a perennial, but not too much into the colder zones.

Hope this helps a little...

Weezie

P/S Glad you found us, Welcome to The Garden
Helper's Forum by the way...
We have lot's of Canadian Gardener's here, hope you'll stick around awhile and get to know them..
And don't forget we have lot's of things to do here during the winter months...
Check back often!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by jbo on November 19, 2004 08:49 AM
I am very new to gardening....I think I'm in a 3b/4a zone (USDA). All of the plants I have came from my mom's garden, and she's in the same area as I am. I know hers come back every year without a problem. I am wondering, since mine seem to be dying inside, if I can keep them for next summer by "putting them to sleep" outside this winter. I'm worried that putting them outside now will just kill them, because there's no snow yet for insulation, and they're used to inside temps.
Earlier this year I had an aphid infestation in both my Kalanchoes that I couldn't get rid of....I don't want to kill any more plants!
Thank you for responding. This is a great resource and very helpful!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: