The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Buying Live Herb Plants Now.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Buying a house| Next thread: Buying new perenials... »
Back to Thread index
by Grumpy Vet on November 16, 2004 01:28 AM
Hi all. I'm trying to buy a few live herb plants to grow downstairs in my "herb garden". I'm fairly new to this and had great success w/ some plants - and not-so good w/ others. I think I've corrected a few of my errors - and would like to try again w/ some herbs I lost. The problem is I am in MD and nobody around here sells the plants.

I'd really prefer not to grow from seeds.

Specifically - I'm looking for parsley, basil, cilantro and oregano as well as others. Thanks for any links or any info on where I might find a place that sells the live herbs I can transplant into my growing area.
by weezie13 on November 17, 2004 01:58 AM
Hi Grumpy Vet,
I am not too sure if anyone sells the live plants
now, this time of year, as it's hard for them to ship to areas' that are cold...
***Like when they ship from their building, it's in possible several trucks or carriers cars to get to your mailbox, and it would almost be impossible for them to guarentee a "live" delivery with out getting frozen, stressed or hurt in the mailing/handling process at this time of year...

I get alot of things in the mail from the QVC and they ship things according to your growing zone..

Can I ask how come you don't want to start from seed????
Just curious!!

Weezie

[Cool] Love to hear all about the success's [thumb] so far and the failures and how you corrected everything [critic] ,
helps us all learn!! [teacher]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by petunialover on November 19, 2004 04:32 AM
Hi Grumpy, I totally understand why you don't want to start with seed. Takes too, and long seeds don't like to germinate in cooler temperaters. Maybe you could ask at your local upscale grocery where they buy their fresh herbs. Or and this is easiest, just go to the produce department and look at the little plastic boxes of fresh herbs to see where they come from, then call that greenhouse and beg. (tee hee hee) As a matter of fact I think I'll do that too. Also you could write to Gardener's Way online. They may have plants, but getting live plants this time of year is often dangerous for the plants.

PL

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the
idea that life is serious.
-- Brendan Gill
by Grumpy Vet on November 19, 2004 04:15 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I've looked about everywhere online for live plants....one of my other hobbies is saltwater fish - and suppliers ship those even over the cold months - just do it w/ warming packs and overnight delivery...

The reason I don't want to start from seeds? I have tried several times and I guess I'm just not bright enough or patient enough to make it work. I bought the live plants from the local HD and everything went pretty well. The mistakes I made were putting dissimilar plants together in the same planter....some needed more or less water - and I lost them. I think the whole indoor setup down in the basement worked fairly well. I still have 2 types of parsley, lemon balm, oregano, two types of basil and the chives. The one I really miss that I lost was the cilantro.

When I find live plants, I think I'm going to set up a drip type system out of a bucket to regulate the watering better.

Here is a simplistic description of my growing area in the basement:

I had about 11 spices in 3 large rectangular planters. River rock lines the bottom. On top of that is MiracleGrow potting soil, regular potting soil and top soil all mixed together. There is a large drip tray under the three planters (which have holes poked in all of them).

I was afraid my cat would get into these herbs so I have put the planters inside our dogs crate. She no longer uses the crate....it is from puppy time. I have a 10K 175 Watt Metal Halide bulb elevated slightly above the crate. It is probably about 24" above the plants.

I have two Radio Shack Fans wired on opposite ends of the crate about 12" above the plants. One fan is set back and one front at the same height so two flows of air run past each other and are blowing in. Here is a pic about a month or so after I set up the growing area:

http://www.thefreitags.net/misc/herbs.jpg

I'll try some of PL's ideas and see how I make out....if anyone else knows of another source - I'd love to hear about it. Thanks again for your time.
by zelinda on December 05, 2004 02:31 AM
Hi Grumpy,
I read that cilantro should be planted every month because it has a short life. If you really like cilantro, you might consider trying that.

BTW, growing cilantro from seed isn't too hard. I did that earlier this year. They grew fine, but then I neglected them and they got infested with aphids. If you can't find live cilantro, you might try planting from seeds, then you can plant some every month and have an on-going supply.

Zelinda.
by njoynit on December 05, 2004 11:49 PM
My walmart carries herbs still but then again I'm a zone 8b...but my walmart really sucks garden wise.No potting mix now cause they say its seasonal,but i can buy a garden hose and herbs& some annuals.You may try your Lowes they can order plants and can see if thats one they can order.I can't think of any that ship year round,most just ship till Nov 4th,the start back up in spring.with the lower south 1st of course.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Buying a house| Next thread: Buying new perenials... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: