The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

eucalyptus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Ethnic Recipes| Next thread: eugenia cherry brush »
Back to Thread index
by melcon6 on September 12, 2004 08:46 PM
Last year I grew some eucalyptus that did so well, I put some in again this year. My problem is I cant get any info on how to dry it . Last year when I harvested it I hung it upside down in bunches like most things to dry but it got dried out and crispy. It still smells nice but what is that coating they use (waxy) to preserve it and use in arrangements? Where can I get it?

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by thorns on September 20, 2004 04:27 AM
Glycerine is what florists have used to cure euc leaves and stems . it can be purchased at any drug store, but nowadays you have to sign for it. Will look up proportions, glyerine to water, and get back to you.
by melcon6 on September 20, 2004 09:48 PM
Thank you, thank you !! I thought I'd stumped everybody. I remember when I was little making flowers with glycerin?? I'll check online and see what I can find out too. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. [Smile]

-
 -

by thorns on September 21, 2004 05:37 AM
Michiagan State University Extension service has a great article on drying with glycerine. Look for their 'Old House Web' and abc catagories g. Hope you can find this cause my descripion stinks. I can email you the page if you like. I think i can anyway.
by papito on November 01, 2004 04:27 PM
Melcon6,

Hope this info is not too late for you.

http://www.australiaplants.com/Eucalyptus_Info.htm

From the same article:

quote:
Preserving Eucalyptus: If you want to preserve fresh foliage, use a 50-50 glycerin and water mix. Stick the cut ends of stems in this mixture in a low light area, in about 2-3 weeks, the Eucalyptus will have absorbed the glycerin and be ready for use. Glycerin can usually be obtained from a pharmacy and you can easily do your own preserving. Much of the Eucalyptus I have seen in the craft stores all smells alike and has been obviously dyed in different colors. To each his own, but why waste the beauty of the many varied "natural" scents of Eucalyptus? You certainly won't find any naturally lemon scented Eucalyptus at your craft store! Talk about fragrance, the lemon scented Corymbia citriodora has got to be tops!
Other sources:

http://www.nfc.org.uk/tips2.htm

http://www.preservedgardens.com/glycerin-antifreeze.htm

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by melcon6 on November 02, 2004 01:14 AM
Thank you so much Papito for thinking of me ! I still haven't harvested the eucalyptus and there's still lots that is alive despite some pretty good frosts: I guess I just haven't gotten around to going to the pharmacy, and not sure how it comes , how much I need , but now that you've taken the time to think of me , I'll have to take the time to preserve my eucalyptus! [thumb]

-
 -

by papito on November 02, 2004 01:56 AM
Mel,
If Glycerin is not readily available from the pharmacies/drug stores, maybe you can look into anti-freeze (sometimes they are formulated as propylene glycol or ethylene glycol or something similar, as long as the glycerin is a main ingredient). See additional info on the third site.

Sorry, I didn't mean to push you; I missed your post and only saw it last night.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ethnic Recipes| Next thread: eugenia cherry brush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: