The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Candy making

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Candied Violet or Pose Petals| Next thread: candytuft »
Back to Thread index
by applescruff on April 13, 2004 03:36 AM
Has anyone ever tried candying the leaves and flowers from herbs? All you have to do is wash them off, brush on lightly beaten egg whites, and sprinkle them with fine grain sugar. Once they dry you have a crunchy candy.

I've done this before with mint leaves and I've heard you can also use violet petals, but does anyone know of other plants to use?

*smile*
applscruff

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
by weezie13 on April 14, 2004 07:50 AM
Applescruff,
I have been meaning to get after your post,
and kept getting side tracked...(I couldn't
remember the name of the post, and had to hunt for it...)

Anyhow, we had a conversation here before about someone wanting ideas for a garden tour......
And we got on the subject of edible flowers....

Discussion on Edible Flowers

Hope this'll give you some ideas for the edible
flowers!!

Let us know if it helped!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on April 15, 2004 05:15 AM
i like nasturtiums and my favorite is borage. You can do mint too!!!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Chrissy on April 16, 2004 01:50 PM
This will be my 3rd year to herb garden. Moved to a new home this winter, so I had to leave my well established herb garden behind & I am starting new this year. I had no idea you could candy herbs/flowers. I have made my own spices for cooking, medicinals, teas, sachets, etc...but candy is brand new to me. I have a couple of questions...

How do you store the candy, in an air-tight container? In the fridge?

Does the egg white on the candy spoil? How quickly must the candy be consumed after making it?

Thanks so much for this new way to enjoy my herbs [thumb]

-
 -
z5b
by apples on April 16, 2004 02:31 PM
This sound yummy [grin] .

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Buglady on April 16, 2004 06:07 PM
need to use as soon as possible. make sure flowers are totally dry too. Also i take blooms and freeze them in ice cubes when serving drinks

-
 -
The Buglady
by Chrissy on April 19, 2004 05:48 AM
Thanks for the tip & the ice-cube idea buglady [thumb]

-
 -
z5b
by applescruff on April 29, 2004 12:26 AM
Thanks for the hints everyone! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It's getting near the end of term which means my professors are giving triple the normal amount of homework. I'm going to try candying mint leaves if I cna ever find some. I tried growing some from seed but dorm rooms are not known for keeping consistent temperatures.

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
by Phil and Laura on May 02, 2004 04:04 PM
Have a BIG crop of Valarian, anyone interested?? [dunno]
by Chrissy on May 03, 2004 06:46 PM
I LOVE valarian:) Very useful medicinally & makes a good tea. I have some seeds I am putting in my herb garden later this spring, but haven't any growing yet.

-
 -
z5b
by Danielle_plants_alot on May 03, 2004 07:52 PM
Hey valarian looks like the stuff that grows at my house in the fields maybe it is...hmmm i am not sure??

-
zone 5 Indiana.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Gardening is medicine that does not need a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.”
by Chrissy on May 06, 2004 05:52 AM
Danielle, if you have valarian growing at your mom & dad's home out in the field...well then we are going to have to grab some baskets & go out in that field & grab a bunch...valerian is good stuff [thumb]

-
 -
z5b
by Phil and Laura on May 10, 2004 03:29 PM
So Chrissy, what exactly and how do I use valarian?
Oh , and we been real busy, so SORRY I haven't gotten back to ya on those links, they are interesting, I have your emails "marked" as Important, so I won't forget Ya!! Ya Know...feeble mind here [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [grin]
by Chrissy on May 10, 2004 03:59 PM
Hey Phil...Valerian is a great little herb. Here is a few recipes & some info on Valerian also.

Harvest roots for medicinal use in the fall of their second year.

MEDICINAL: Valerian is a relaxer, and is very effective for insomnia. It is often used as a tranquilizer, but it leaves no sluggish effects on the user. It is used for nervous tension, pain relieving, and for muscle spasms. It should not be taken over a long period of time, as it can cause mental depression in some people after long-term steady use.

NERVE CALMING TEA:

Chamomile (1 part)
Lavender flowers (1 part)
Peppermint leaves (1 part)
Fragrant valerian root (2 parts)
Fennel seed (3 parts)
Milfoil (3 parts)
Steep 1 tsp. in 1/2 cup boiling water. Take 1/2 cup warm per day.

MENSTRUAL PROBLEMS TEA:

Goldthread (8 parts)
Tansy (8 parts)
Fragrant valerian root (4 parts)
Rosemary leaves (2 parts)
Rue herb (2 parts)
Boil 1-1/2 tsp. mixture slowly in 2 cups of water, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes and strain. Take 1 cup morning and night. Sweeten if desired.

Valerian Information

-
 -
z5b
by lee kai ling on September 09, 2004 01:34 PM
[flower] hi everyone!im a new member hir & im so excitd...well,i got curious abt d violet flowers used 4 candying...and i think its a good topis 4 my paper...to those who know cn i hv its complete recipe? tenx...mwuah..mwuah [Wink]
by gardenmom32210 on September 09, 2004 04:02 PM
Hi Lee [wayey] Welcome to the forum. Its really nice to meet you! I'm not positive but I think you might be our first member from the phillipines [flower] We are happy to have you join us [flower]

Here is a recipe for making candied violets. Hope it helps...

To candy flowers, whisk an egg white, then use a brush to paint a fine layer onto clean, dry, pesticide-free flower petals (or whole flowers if they're very small). Next, gently place the petal into some superfine sugar, and sprinkle some more superfine sugar on top. Shake off the excess and lay it out on waxed paper to dry (this takes as long as eight hours).

Karen [grin]
by frustratedattimes on September 12, 2004 08:10 AM
The only sweets I ever had that had herbs in it were brownies. [perplexed] [Big Grin] back in my wild days. Funny thing, I always had the munchies afterwards. [nutz] [Frown] [Big Grin]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by lee kai ling on September 15, 2004 10:16 AM
[grin] tenx a lot to both of u ...well, im glad to know that im the 1st member hu comes from the Philippines [wayey] ....actually im a biology student [teacher] majoring in zoology [kitty] i only appreciated plants when i had this course (economic botany)which i learned so many things about plants in a different way [grin] ...so,my reason for joining here is to know more about plants with plant-loving people lyk you guys [flower] ...til nxt topics 2 come.. [wayey]
by Phil and Laura on September 17, 2004 05:13 PM
Will the same recipe work for pansies??
Frustrated...join the crowd of those who ate those "special" brownies! Phil
by gardenmom32210 on September 17, 2004 05:16 PM
It should work for pansies...Its a basic recipe for candying any edible flowers.

Karen [grin]
by frustratedattimes on September 18, 2004 06:07 AM
Phil, you mean there are others out there??? [Big Grin]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Buglady on September 21, 2004 06:54 AM
you can eat borage.. they are nice to freeze in ice cubes for drinks....

-
 -
The Buglady

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Candied Violet or Pose Petals| Next thread: candytuft »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: