The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting question..help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by DaisyM on June 24, 2006 10:48 AM
I have a trouble spot under an overhang on our roof. I love my spreading Junnipers, but I lose them every year. When I pull them up to change them (I never learn my lesson) they are in the same pot shape as when I put them into the ground a year before. The root system never seems to have grown any? What am I doing wrong? My question, when I put in a new one, should I be spreading or ripping apart the shrub's roots, so they aren't in a circular pot shape?
by afgreyparrot on June 24, 2006 11:06 AM
quote:
when I put in a new one, should I be spreading or ripping apart the shrub's roots, so they aren't in a circular pot shape?
I always do...everything I plant that's been in a pot, I spread the roots apart to get them out of "that shape".

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Karrie on June 24, 2006 11:51 AM
Also make sure you dig your hole at least 2 times the size of the pot and make the soil around lose so that the roots can easily break through it. If they meet resistance they will continue to grow in circles and I think that results in a similar situation as what some call pot bound roots.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by weezie13 on June 24, 2006 11:57 AM
Also, try to ammend as much of the soil around the hole, as you can.. this encourages the roots to go out into all of the dirt around the hole as well.. *and not just stay inside the dug hole cause that's where all the good soil is...*
**does that make sense*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on June 24, 2006 08:05 PM
I always loosen and spread out the roots of any new plants I buy before planting them in the ground.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by twwright on June 24, 2006 11:05 PM
I always worried that I would kill the plant doing this by causing it too much stress at planting time. I have broken apart just the bottom part of the plants root ball but only on perennials and roses and shrubs. Annuals I am afraid of doing this to. Do you guys include annuals in what you are saying?
by Karrie on June 25, 2006 03:10 AM
I don't pull apart the roots on my annuals but they are the six packs usually. I can see where you might be fearful of doing that with such a small root system to begin with. I just make sure they are soaked in water before pulling them out of the pack. And I still dig my hole large and make the soil good and soft around the area for the root penetration.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 06:05 AM
In extreme cases, when roots are extremely rootbound, you can even take a knife and cut away some of the mass or make diagonal slashes. It may seem radical, but it's much better than leaving them bound. I always loosen the roots on annuals, vegetables, perennials and anything else that's been grown in a pot or 6 pack.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by patches1414 on June 25, 2006 06:48 AM
quote:
I have broken apart just the bottom part of the plants root ball but only on perennials and roses and shrubs. Annuals I am afraid of doing this to. Do you guys include annuals in what you are saying?
Twwright, I always check the root system on both annuals and perennials, then make my decision based on what I find. [Wink] Actually, about 6 weeks ago I loosened and spread out the roots on 96 Impatiens before planting them and they are doing great! [thumb] Of course, I always water them well and let them sit for a while before I do this.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by DaisyM on June 25, 2006 10:40 AM
Because the roots were so tight and dense when I took it out of the pot, I pulled the roots apart at the bottom and vetically through the middle so I could get them out of their pot shape. If I lose it, it won't be the first time, so I won't lose sleep over it, although I will be a little upset. Chalk it down to learning!
by patches1414 on June 25, 2006 11:42 AM
Daisy, if you lose it this time, it certainly won't be because of what you did to the roots. Whenver I plant shrubs, trees or perennials I always use a root stimulator to help the roots get off to e good start. [Wink]

-
 -
by joclyn on June 25, 2006 05:29 PM
as the other said, gently break apart the root ball and make sure you've got a hole large enough and that the soil is loose enough so that the roots can grow through it (amend if necessary).

when watering a newly transplanted plant, make sure to water not just right at the root area right below the plant, also water at the 'drip-line'.

this is the circular area that lies below the out edge of the leaves on the plant. do good deep waterings of the drip line and the roots will reach out to get the water...helps the plant form a sturdy root system.

Active Garden Forum