The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird of Paradise

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bird Lady| Next thread: Bird of Paradise »
Back to Thread index
by TravelNut on April 08, 2005 04:17 AM
I have got seeds for a Bird of Paradise plant. I would like to know how to plant them and how to care for it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks JV. I am new to this.
by papito on April 08, 2005 09:57 PM
Check this link for info:
Propagating BOP from Seeds

from the same article:
quote:
Seeds

The Bird of Paradise seeds have a very hard seed coat. Before planting them you must scarify (break the seed coat). Take a file and scrape the outside of the seeds just enough to break the seed coat. Sow seeds in a propagating mix or make your own mix by using equal parts of sand and potting soil. Seeds must be fresh, less than 6 months old and absolutely less than a year old. Germination occurs best at 75-80 degrees F. Germination is a slow process for Strelitzia seeds. Anywhere from 2-3 months.

Once your seedlings have emerged and have three to four leaves move them into a well drained potting mix. As the plants grow keep moving them to larger pots.

Remember though that they bloom better when crowded, so be slow to repot and quick to leave alone. One of the best specimens of Strelitzia reginae I have ever seen is one at a garden center that is about 15 years old and hasn't been repotted for at least 10 years. The container has burst from the pressure of the numerous crowns, but it always has three to four flowering stalks on it year round!

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 11:22 PM
Thankyou Papito,

I think they are wonderful flowers but they seemed to exotic for me. Now I will be looking for the seeds to try growing some.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird Lady| Next thread: Bird of Paradise »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: