The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dragon wing begonias HELP

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dragon Tree info| Next thread: Dragonfly questions »
Back to Thread index
by jdouglasj on June 21, 2006 12:46 PM
I live in Chicago condo on the 7th floor. My northern exposure deck gets about threee hours of direct sunlight in the morning and about 2.5 hours of direct sunlight towards dusk.

My dragon wing begonias seem to be growing fine in terms of size, but the leaves are very dark green and wrinkled and there aren't many flowers on the plants. I've seen dragon wings elsewhere that have smooth bright green leaves with a lot more flowers.

I have three dragon wings per 3-foot tub, and two sweet potato vines in the same tub. I put in slow release fertilizer when i potted them, and I usually mix a powered fertilizer when i water them. The powered fert is Schultz Bloom Plus "for all flowering plants"

Suggestions?
by Jiffymouse on June 22, 2006 03:39 PM
ok, you have a couple of things going on. first, there are lots of different types of angel wing/dragon wing begonias. and yes, there is one that had dark green, wrinkled leaves.

second, you are probably over feeding it. you want to do two things. only feed at half or even quarter strength every other watering, not every watering. and you want to check the numbers on the fert. to make sure that the middle number is higher than the other two. the center number is the one that promotes blooms.
by TulsaRose on June 23, 2006 12:34 AM
May be getting too much sun, especially in the very hot, late afternoon.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on June 23, 2006 02:56 PM
I dont think any plant requires 2 fertilizers. And not that often.....
All your doing is making Shultz rich.

Cut the food ......

I put my begonia in the north side of the house ..It is doing great.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dragon Tree info| Next thread: Dragonfly questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: