The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing cukes and tomato's in pots.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Grow your own potatoes?| Next thread: Growing Amaryllis indoors? »
Back to Thread index
by DaisyM on February 05, 2005 01:13 AM
I live in Canada, with a very short growing season. Soon it will be time to start my tomatos in the house. Last year, I planted a patio cuke plant, and got about 6-7 (long length) cukes from it. These were labelled seeds especially for patio pots. Can one use regular pickling cuke plant seeds and get the same results as with the special seeds.
The same goes for tomatos. Is there a special kind of seed to grow patio tomatos? Last year I tried one of my regulars and ended up with lots of leaves, but no fruit.
by Longy on February 05, 2005 10:01 AM
You can use regular cucumber and tomato for pots.
You may need to tip prune your cucumber to keep it from sprawling too far (or just train it up a trellis.) The reason you never got any tomatos is not because it was in a pot but for other reasons. Maybe a fertiliser too high in nitrogen for one. Or insufficient light. Did the plant flower? If it did flower, was it exposed to insects to pollinate it? If not you may need to put it outside once all threat of frost has passed, or pollinate it with a small paintbrush yourself. Same with the cucumber, you can pollinate these very easily by hand too.
by tamara on February 06, 2005 02:15 AM
Where are you in Canada? (just curious) I plant patio tomatoes (tiny tims) and regular green peppers in patio pots. This year I am going to try a few other veggies as well. My neighbour plants regular cucumbers in 5 gallon buckets and uses her kids old hockey sticks as a guide for the runners. I plant other stuff in the ground but I love to have vegetables growing on my back patio.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Longy on February 06, 2005 04:39 PM
Where are you in Canada? (just curious
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From Edmonton, you turn left. Head South East for approximately 31000 km. When you get to Sydney, turn left, go north 700 km. My house is the one with the green roof [grin]
Good luck with your vegies.
by tamara on February 06, 2005 06:21 PM
Longy your so funny [Razz] . lol. I'm sure Daisy lives a little closer to me than that. [Wink]

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by DaisyM on February 12, 2005 05:33 AM
Hi, it's just me. I live in Wpg, Manitoba and like I said before, our growing season is short. I planted my reg sized tomatos in a very large pot, it did get a few flowers on it and a couple of marble size green tomatos just before the big frost. The plant was much to big and the pot too heavy for me to bring it in at frost time, so I just gave up on it, knowing I wouldn't get anything edible from it.. When we get frost, that's usally it for the season as the temps afterwards are just too cold for anything to grow. I think what I need is a very fast growing tomato. Oh well, I was happy that I got a few cukes out of it.
by weezie13 on February 12, 2005 07:03 AM
DaisyM,
When you do your tomato plants again,
try putting in a cage and stake to hold your tomato plant up, and then come frost time, find a big piece of clear plastic and cover your plant....
You'll get a couple of things with this....
You'll get a greenhouse effect with the clear plastic, the cage and stake will hold up the plastic also.... and you'll get frost protection as well... ****just make sure the plastic isn't touching the plant....when trying to guard against frost, when the frost hits the plastic and the plant is touching it, it will freeze up...

Weezie

P/S We grew some tomatoes in 5 gallons pots....
We put the bucket on a little trolley thing like.
It cost a buck at the dollar store...wheeled it here and there... worked nice for my mom...

P/S/S.... You might also try this in your pot
wallowater.com on your plant when you first put it outside. When you use something like this....
you can put the plants out a bit earlier, and the water in the plastic protects the plants, insults the plants when the water heats up and gives you a jump start on your gardening.....

Worth a look at to see if this would lengthen your season a bit for you...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on February 12, 2005 09:34 PM
Weezie thanks, a bunch of good tips. I'll be sure to go to the buck store and look for this little trolley with wheels. (is it a regular seasonal item)? It's a great idea. I'll keep the other tips in mind also. Thanks again.
by weezie13 on February 12, 2005 10:02 PM
DaisyM,
quote:
I'll be sure to go to the buck store and look for this little trolley with wheels. (is it a regular seasonal item)?
I am not 100% percent sure?????
But I would definately say yes during the spring and summer months.. I have seen them in other places, and a little bit more sturdier too for a bit more money.... we did have a wheel or two fall off *after the dog walked behind the 5 gallon pot and then got her chain wrapped around it and pulled it over.... [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes] *
I would have to say check around.

It would be up to what you like, how much you can afford, or even take a look at them and see if you can make something like them....*I got my eye on the wooden one's to do, they don't seem too hard*

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on February 14, 2005 03:25 AM
Weezie, I'm so glad you posted pictures of the plant trolley. I've seen something similar to it, but without the wheels. Mind you, I've never been looking for a trolley in particular. I thought the ones I seen were something you put under your pot for decoration. Hmm....never noticed the wheels on it. As soon as the seasonal stuff shows up in the stores, I'll have to take a look. Thanks again.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grow your own potatoes?| Next thread: Growing Amaryllis indoors? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: