The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Newbie question: Daylily bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Newbie In need of MUCH help| Next thread: Newbie questions »
Back to Thread index
by Drea on June 21, 2006 04:34 AM
I just bought two Ruby Stellas on the weekend . One had a bloom that opened on Sunday morning and by Monday morning it was finished. Sounds crazy,but as I mentioned I'm new to this....are these flowers (LITERALLY) One-day-lilies?? I was a little disappointed that that was it!!lol
by netwiz on June 21, 2006 04:42 AM
I'm a newbie too and was surprised about the one day blooms. I did notice, however, that each stalk has about 12 buds and they only bloom one per day. I figure I will have about 2 weeks of bloom time. Not as long as I had thought but at least it's not just one day!

Joanne
by eClaire on June 21, 2006 04:48 AM
they are one bloom-a-day lilies...but some varieties will produce blooms throughout the summer. I think Stella is one of those, I have a few and some have bloomed for over a month now.

Make sure you pop off the old blooms when they die or you end up with messy looking plants [Smile]

good luck! and give them a chance, they will come back bigger and better every year with more blooms than you expected.

Claire
by Drea on June 21, 2006 04:52 AM
Thanks for the quick response! Maybe I'll just have to get more of them!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by johnCT on June 21, 2006 06:11 AM
Yup, that's it. One day.....hence the name DAY-lily. [Big Grin] [clappy] [thumb]

Try Gilbert H. Wild as a good source for daylilies. I've had very good luck with their product.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Newbie In need of MUCH help| Next thread: Newbie questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: