The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Houseplants that need little light?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tamara on December 21, 2005 08:36 PM
Is there such a thing? I want a plant that I can keep on top of my fridge, there is not alot of light. What would survive, the ivy is dying as we speak.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by mhuff on December 21, 2005 09:36 PM
Try a zamioculcas zamiifolia. They requre only a little light....and they're pretty cool. I have one, and I love it.
Melinda
by margaret e. pell on December 22, 2005 10:35 AM
Yes, yes, what? I have populated all sunny places. All that's left is back from the windows with no direct and varying levels of indirect light - that is, where the people live, but they don't need much space, i'm sure. With what can I next take over?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by dodge on December 25, 2005 08:34 AM
Try a Coleus .....I have one inside in the south window......Dont know if it is a house plant , but I made it one........
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on December 25, 2005 09:58 AM
Caladium is low light, so is the cast iron plant but that may be to tall. Or possible a nice boston fern if it is humid enough in your kitchen.

-
 -
by TomR on December 25, 2005 09:26 PM
As already stated the ZZ plant is a GREAT choice and needs very little care. That's my first pick for you. Also pothos, Shefflera may do well depending on just how much light you have. I find it's a decent low light grower. Chinese Evergreen is another option.

Happy holidays and new year to you all.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Kareena on December 27, 2005 01:58 PM
Are there any more ideas. The low light/care plants are what I need. Anything else would be a huge help. Then I can really start my garden. Are there any low light herbs?

Kareena

**hint**hint**Gmom!**

To err is human, to blame it on someone else shows management potential.
by tkhooper on December 28, 2005 12:59 AM
most herbs got their start in the mediteranian so they usually like a fair amount of light. Either a east or south facing window.

If the coleus does good in the location you might be able to do mint as well.

Is there any chance of buying one or two of those stick up florescent lamps for that area. Then you could grow just about anything. I'm thinking about doing that to my refrigerator overhead space once I find a place for everything else that's up there lol. I have a little apartment and finding space for all the plants I want is always an adventure lol.

-
 -
by Kareena on December 28, 2005 08:16 AM
Tk
I also live in a tiny-ish apartment. Thats why I had both of my plants at work. Now that I am at home all the time I can start to get my hands a little dirty! [Big Grin] I can't do any thing out side because a lawn service comes by once a month. [Razz] So now I am going to get some indoor plants. Any ideas from any one will be a huge help! [clappy] [muggs]

To err is human, to blame it on someone else shows management potential.
by Jiffymouse on December 28, 2005 09:28 AM
my low light plants are african violets (not good for top of the fridge though), pothos, sanseveria (mother in law's tongue), and peace lily (spathillilium)

for the top of the fridge, i'd go with the peace lily, in one of the compact varieties.

for the rest of the apartment, cast iron plant (aspidistra) is also good, as well as the other's mentioned.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: