The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

killing grass around flowers-naturally?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Killing Eucalyptus Trees| Next thread: killing off Oregon Grapes »
Back to Thread index
by ChillnPepper on June 08, 2006 05:39 AM
Is there an organic method / solution to killing grass around Zinias, Nandinna's & Mini-Rose Bushes?

[dunno] I am asking for a friend and have no idea the quanity nor type of grass....I don't even know if I spelled the names of her flowers correctly! [Embarrassed]

I...um...sort of 'told' her about this GREAT WEBSITE; but she says she is just too shy to join 'anything like that'. So here I am again with half-info & problems unseen!

Thanking you all in advance cuz ya ALWAYS come thru! [thumb]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by alankhart on June 08, 2006 09:52 AM
The safest way to do it is to lay down several layers of black and white newspaper around them and cover it with mulch. This will keep sun from the grass thus killing it, and the newspaper will eventually biodegrade.

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on June 08, 2006 04:33 PM
And to add on to what Alan said,
when you do that to the top of the soil,
it ends up making the soil moister, and more plyable and if some grass still does exist,
it pulls out soooo easily when the dirt is like that...

I love weeding my beds...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ChillnPepper on June 09, 2006 04:06 AM
[clappy]
Thanx OOooddles! I can use that info myself!

I [Love] this website!!!

[thinker]

I think I'll just send a link to aaaallllll my friend's! Whether they 'think' they need it or not! LOL!

[muggs]
Have a great day y'all!
[flower]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by joclyn on June 09, 2006 05:16 AM
weeds and grass are MUCH easier to pull up when the soil is a bit moist...i will pull the hose out and water a spot a bit - just to make it easier to pull the stuff up!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Killing Eucalyptus Trees| Next thread: killing off Oregon Grapes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: