The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

scilla?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plants 'n pots on April 10, 2004 01:06 AM
I made a trip over the Hudson River to meet a friend who had come in from California this morning. On my way back, still on that side, I noticed many fields of a gorgeous blue flower. The blue was sweeping the hillsides and looked like bulbs of some sort. I went to one nursery there, who kept insisting it was crocuses, but I know what they look like and this was a bright BLUE! I then went back down the road to another roadside farm/flower stand where these flowers were in bloom directly across the street. Asked 2 people working there and they didn't have a clue, but said that the flowers had all just opened yesterday. JUST BEAUTIFUL. I then asked them who owns the land there - they said it was just a hill not really belonging to anyone in particular (of course it belongs to SOMEONE, but it wasn't part of a house property or any defined property...). So I went across the street and was going to take just a few flowers to my huge local nursery to have it identified - they know everything there! I was amazed at how easily the bulbs came up with roots intact, so I took a small bunch - you couldn't even notice that any were missing...

My local nursery said it was scilla, and that they sell bulbs in the fall. So, what I'm wondering is... will these bulbs make it through this spring and summer? I have them in a partly sunny/shady spot and will keep them moist.

Here's a few shots of them transplanted into my garden:

scilla?
(click on the thumbnail picture to enlarge)

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 02:11 AM
Hi Lynne,
Aren't those gorgeous????????
I have both of those,
i will dig up the name for you....
The dark one is one,
and the light blue is another name,
Both are scillia's I believe...

I want to say off the top of my head,
the light blue are Puschkinika's or something like that!!!
The dark ones are siberica's or something like
that, I'd go read my tags if I could!!
(*The kids have taken them off a long time ago)

The light blue will re~seed prolifically for you if you don't pick the flowers..... They'll have a ba~zillion seeds up and down where the flower was, and as the flower stem dries, it'll fall over and re~seed right where it lays....

DON'T BE A FAST WEEDER IN THE SPRING THOUGH!!!!!!!!

The babies will look like grass growing in your beds, here and there, real fine.....
Don't pull it up!!!

The dark blue one's will naturalize for you too, but just a bit slower than the light blue one's..

I'm eating dinner right now, OKAY, I have a problem, I can't stay off this place!!! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]
But I'll post the names when I hunt them down!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2004 03:40 AM
hey lynne, those are gorgeous! i wonder if they would grow here?
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 04:17 AM
Dark Blue ones=
Siberian Squill

Light Blue ones=
Puschkinia scilloides/Striped Squill

So close with the names, but my spelling is rotten!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 04:21 AM
Lynne,
I have these too!!

Chionodoxa forbesii 'Blue Giant'

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by plants 'n pots on April 10, 2004 05:31 AM
WOW WEEZIE - YOU ARE SOOOOO GOOD! [flower]

You hit them with the first 2 pictures exactly!

Only thing is... I wasn't able to get the bulbs on any of the lighter blue ones - they seem to be more firmly planted and I didn't have any tools with me.

I still wonder though... do you think they will survive being planted now instead of in the fall? I would LOVE for them to naturalize or spread seeds as you had mentioned - I put them in a garden where I have forget-me-nots that reseed all over the place. They are just now leafing out - [Cool]

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 06:01 AM
quote:
WOW WEEZIE - YOU ARE SOOOOO GOOD!
[grin] [thumb]

I only knew the names because I had them!!!!! [flower]

With NOT getting any of the bulb stuff, I am semi~doubtfull they will survive/grow???
But, maybe, I'd have to see what you were able to get????
Probably no seeds either!! (*If the flower dies)

If you got the bulb, I don't see why they wouldn't grow for you.... they should finish blooming and die back, don't take away any of the green dying leaves as that's were it's getting it's food to store in the bulb... It'll be in the fall time when they re~root again!
Don't over water too much, they don't like it too soggy!!!

quote:
I put them in a garden where I have forget-me-nots that reseed all over the place. They are just now leafing out -

Okay, for me, in my garden, I have nothing else around it.....not even forget~me~nots....
CAN BE A GOOD POINT... [thumb]
CAN BE A BAD POINT... [dunno]

GP}Seeds from plants aren't shaded by any plants to make new plants come spring time???
Bp} Come the hot part of summer, it's pretty barron, but I know the seeds are not being disturbed??? [dunno]

Best I can say is, try an experiment???
do half with the forgetmenot's and half with out!!

Test,

Send in the results????

I do put some chopped up leaves around them in the fall and very carefully in the spring take them off, sometimes if I'm not quick enough the tiny hairlike green leaves are sticking up thru the leaves???

But don't weed early....

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by plants 'n pots on April 10, 2004 06:18 AM
quote:
With NOT getting any of the bulb stuff, I am semi~doubtfull they will survive/grow???

I did not expect the ones without bulbs to survive - would be nice though! [Wink]
I just kept those so the nursery could identify them - you too, Weezie!

Good point about planting with or without the forget-me-nots - [thinker]
I might have to dig up the bunch and separate a few out to try some elsewhere -

It'll have to wait until next week I'm afraid...
tomorrow we are going up to Ithaca to celebrate our son's 21st birthday [party] -
it was yesterday - the 8th.
We'll be back late Sunday, but they are calling for rain all day Sunday and the following 4 days! I just hope we don't have a year like last year where it rained every single weekend til the end of June! [Eek!]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: