The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mystic Merlin Mallow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mystery Tree| Next thread: Myyyyyyyyyy new Orchid »
Back to Thread index
by alankhart on June 06, 2006 06:49 AM
I planted one last fall. It has grown monstrous this spring (over five ft. tall) and has already completely bloomed itself out. Should I cut it back? How far? Will it rebloom later if I do? This is my first experience with this plant.

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on June 09, 2006 06:38 AM
Alan,
Are they similar to the Zebrina variety?

*are they makin' any seed pods..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by alankhart on June 09, 2006 07:51 AM
Yes, very similar to Zebrina, just a different color. It is making seed pods, so I'll save some seeds. I thought since it's in the same family as the Hollyhock I could cut it back near the ground and it would regrow and possibly rebloom. I found one article that said it was biennial, and another that said it was a perennial that self sows. You never know how a plant is going to do in your own garden until you try it, so I think I'll cut it back and see what happens.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on June 09, 2006 08:05 AM
Could you post a picture of the seed pod. I'm having a heck of a time finding them on my Malva. And I really want to save the seeds because they were so pretty this year. Mine are still blooming. They take about a 2 week break between flowerings but then they just make a bunch more.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on June 09, 2006 11:38 PM
The Malva seed pods form where there was a bloom. They look like this picture in the beginning. Wait for them to turn brown before you pick them. Each little pod has 4 or 5 seeds in it.

-

I hope this helps, TK...

Rosie

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by MrsYeti on June 10, 2006 04:09 AM
hi alan

I am not sure if your mallow is the same as the one I have but I planted it last summer and mine self seeds itself........and this spring I had quite a few babies popping up around the original plant location. (The original plant did not grow back.) So my advice would be to let it seed before cutting him down.
I recall having one baby mallow start late last year from the seeds and this year it is about 3 feet and already blooming where as the other seedlings that just started are only about 1 foot so far.
Not sure if that is the normal thing or if it was just a fluke that it survived because we had such a mild winter this year.

In any event let it seed and see what happens

Good luck
Laurie

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mystery Tree| Next thread: Myyyyyyyyyy new Orchid »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: