The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

peony maintainance

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peony| Next thread: peony pests »
Back to Thread index
by lakegran on June 06, 2006 01:48 AM
Good morning, I have picked the last of my gorgeous peonies, and now I need information regarding , cutting back, separating , etc. It has been in one spot for about 8 years and is huge. I moved to this house last year and did nothing with it last year, except water, and a little miracle grow.
I have learned so much from this forum. You all are so knowlageable and helpful. Thank you in advance. [perplexed]

-
by johnCT on June 06, 2006 02:31 AM
Peony maintenance?? There really isn't any. They can stay in the same spot and bloom for decades. It shouldn't get too much bigger, but if you must divide it, do it in late fall and replant the divisions shallow.

John - Zone 6
by alankhart on June 06, 2006 02:34 AM
Since you have cut all the flowers off, do nothing until fall. If you want to divide it, cut it back and carefully dig it up. Divide the plant into sections with at least 3 eyes each. Replant each section where you want them to be. Peonies resent root disturbance, so it may take a few years for them to bloom again.

-
 -
 -
by lakegran on June 06, 2006 03:01 AM
[clappy]
Thank you for the speedy reply, No Maintainance? That is my kind of plant!!!!!!!!!! [thumb]
I have very little space and have planted some annuals and a tomato plant pretty close to the peony, Can I tie it up to make a sunnier invironment for these other plants?

-
by alankhart on June 06, 2006 06:43 AM
Make sure you tie it loosely so the plant can still receive sunlight in the middle portion especially.

-
 -
 -
by lakegran on June 07, 2006 02:01 AM
OK I will do that
Thanks [kissies]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peony| Next thread: peony pests »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: