The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lilies - Need some help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lilies| Next thread: lilies dieing »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on June 04, 2006 05:25 PM
I bought lily bulbs the other day and I'm wondering if I can plant them in a pot in the house?

What about on my porch in a container? Would that work?

Also can lilies stay in the ground over winter?

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Wrennie on June 04, 2006 11:35 PM
I leave my day and asiatic lilies in the ground over winter. I'm in zone 5. I have also grown them in big pots outside my store, and they stayed in there for the winters fine too.
What kind of lilies did you get? Calla and Canna lilies wont live over the winter outdoors here. But will in the southern US. Callas will do well in a pot and can be brought inside when it gets cold.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Rosepetal on June 05, 2006 10:42 AM
Mine are the asiatic lilies and they're called "lollypop".

I had planned on getting the stargazer, but instead of buying them myself I had asked my sister-in-law to pick them up for me and she bought the wrong ones.

I don't want to take them back, so I'll plant them in a big pot on my porch.

Thanks for the info' Wrennie.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by njoynit on June 06, 2006 12:31 AM
Lollypop is nice.It actually blooms before stargazer does.It gets about 12-18 tall and likes it on the moist side.Its hardy to -35.I'd toss at least 9 inches of mulch on them in the winter if you ground them.Mine didn't sprout the 1st year,so don't dispair.I planted 4 bulbs and had 7 plants bloom this spring.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Rosepetal on June 06, 2006 09:56 AM
Mine had some growth when I opened them last night. So I planted them in my big pot and will see what they'll do.

-
 -
by dodge on June 07, 2006 08:34 AM
I doubt if bulbs started now will bloom.. I did soem 2 months ago , no dice ..
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Rosepetal on June 07, 2006 10:24 AM
On my package it said plant April - May and they will bloom in August.

I planted them in a pot so we'll see, maybe you're right.

-
 -
by eclo on June 10, 2006 04:25 AM
Heyas Rosepetal....

We leave our lilies in the ground all winter and WOW have they done well this last year. They multiply like crazy! [clappy] Here is a picture I just took yesterday and only about half of them have bloomed...................  - ....................don't they look great? You wouldn't believe how huge the flowers themselves are [shocked] Each one 5 or 6 inches across! We planted the bulbs about 6 inches deep in soil that has a lot of gravel in it in zone 5... [thumb] and here are a few others......  - ...

See Ya in the Garden!
by netwiz on June 10, 2006 06:03 AM
What beautiful lilies! I just bought some bulbs also and was wondering if I could plant them. Should I wait until fall or is that just for daffodils? I'm pretty new to gardening and haven't gotten the hang of when to plant things yet.

Joanne
by eclo on June 10, 2006 06:32 AM
netwiz...

Were it me and I wasn't in colder than Z6, I would go ahead and plant them this year! Worst case is you dont get many if any blooms this year. It sure will help them to bloom bigger and better next year by getting a good jump on establishment! Good luck and let us know how it turns out! [thumb]

See Ya in the Garden!
by joclyn on June 10, 2006 12:14 PM
plant them now, jo...i just got in the replacements from what i'd ordered and they're going in the ground this weekend...

they'll, at the least, get some leaves up and that will feed the bulb for next year. might even get lucky and get some blooms this year! (don't expect them to get too tall this year tho...just not enough time for that [Wink]
by Jiffymouse on June 10, 2006 12:33 PM
eclo, beautiful... rosepetal, i second everyone else, plant away!
by Rosepetal on June 11, 2006 02:19 PM
eclo, what beautiful lilies. Ohhhhhh....I can't get enough of you picture. Thanks so much for sharing.

You bet Jiffy, I'm planting away. Thanks everyone for the good points.

-
 -
by plantqueen on July 08, 2006 07:14 AM
Eclo.......those are some beautiful lilies. Wow! I need to plant some of those. I live in MN and I am wondering what the best kind are to plant and where to plant them?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lilies| Next thread: lilies dieing »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: