The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

daffodil seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Daffodil Question| Next thread: daffodils »
Back to Thread index
by mrw on June 03, 2006 11:33 AM
Has anybody had experience planting daffodil seeds? I have quite a few and don't know how or when to plant them. Thanks for any help. [dunno]
by weezie13 on June 04, 2006 07:07 AM
Hi, fellow New Yorker,
Welcome Aboard..

I don't have any experience with them,
but from hearing a few shows on tv and
daff's naturalizing....
I would take a guess that if you just left them
on the momma, and when that stem gets too tired to hold them up they flop over and kinda where they lay is were they re~seed...

I would think they wouldn't be planted deep, or a very light dusting of some sifted compost of some sorts may do the trick...

I have alot of plants that re~seed here, and I basically let mother nature take care of them..
and guessing, it would the same type of concept for them...

Dooooooo tell us more about them...

Where do you have them??
Where did you want them?

And what kind were they??
Verrrrrrryyyyyy interested....

How many did you get???
Could do a bit of experimenting..
It's my favoritest thing to do..

Do some like I suggested, let them fall
by the plant..
Next put some in some 6~pk containers or pots
put some out in an area where you'd like some new one's to grow..

I would leave them some of the seeds outside,
to get chilled, but maybe take a few in too,
to see if you can do it without chilling..

And see which way was easiest for you
anddddd which way was easiest for the plant...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Triss on June 05, 2006 07:26 AM
Somewhere on the Forum it was also brought up the getting daffs that will bloom from seed can take about 5 years. I have never done it myself so I have no idea for sure.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by cathieken127 on June 05, 2006 04:51 PM
i have a question about daffodiles. mine don't seam to come up year after year. i get green stems and no flower. i raised them higher in the ground but still no flower. does anyone know why they won't flower?
by comfrey on June 05, 2006 05:25 PM
Like Triss mentioned...Yes you can grow them from seed, But it is going to take years for them to be a big enough bulbs to finally produce flowers. Weezie suggestions sounds the best to me let them stay on the plant and self seed, no need to cover them up nature will take care of it, And when they grow and you see where the little shoots (bulbs) are you then can move them to where ever, but remeber they probable won't bloom until they get that certain size which could be years.

cathieken127....How big were your bulbs when you replanted them, how deep did you plant them & did you use any bulb food when you replanted? Also when did you replant them, sometimes if you replant at the wrong time the bulbs may not bloom the next season, another reason they might not bloom (probable not in your case) is if they are too crowded.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Daffodil Question| Next thread: daffodils »
Back to Thread index