The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dieffenbachia clarification

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Amber Petersen on November 23, 2005 02:18 AM
I have two different plants that to me look pretty different but have both been identified as Dieffenbachia plants. And since I'm kinda new at the plants thing, I'm a little confused. [dunno] In your guys expert opinions [teacher] are they both dieffenbachias?
Cheers AM
 -  -

-
Amber
by Cricket on November 23, 2005 05:11 AM
Amber, the photo on the right is definitely a Dieffenbachia. The photo on the left I'm not sure about. It looks similar to a pothos but don't think that's it.

Cricket
by peppereater on November 29, 2005 12:06 AM
A Google image search for Dieffenbacchia showed no vining varieties, so I'm going with Pothos on the left, definitely Dieff. on the right.
by Nittrox on November 29, 2005 11:55 AM
Once upon a time, when the times were good, my dieff looked healthy n glowin too - like yours on the right. [tears]
by barleychown on November 29, 2005 01:17 PM
I have a plant like the one in the hanging basket, and have been looking for an ID for months now. Mine came from a nieghbor after his wife died, so I have no one to ask.

It's not a pothos, though it does have similar growth tendencies...it seems to require more light, however. [dunno]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Cricket on November 29, 2005 03:50 PM
What about a species of philodendron? [dunno] Then again, the leaves are not the right shape. This one is driving me crazy because the plant is so familiar that once the mystery is solved I'll be kicking myself for not being able to identify it. [Roll Eyes]
by peppereater on November 29, 2005 11:24 PM
Dang, now I'm confused. I did a google image search for both pothos and philodendron, and I don't know how you differentiate between heart leaf philodendron and pothos! [dunno]
by Gardencrazy on November 30, 2005 02:15 AM
Amber~ They are both dieffs. There is more than one leaf pattern to dieffs. Picture 1 has a plant that has become to leggy. It is a natural thing that happens. The plant looses it lower leaves to feed the top growth. If the plant isn't getting enough light it will lose its leaf pattern.

Dieff care

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket

Active Garden Forum