The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Why doesn't my African Violet Bloom?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Why do they TEASE me?| Next thread: Why won't it grow? »
Back to Thread index
by Amber Petersen on November 16, 2005 12:13 AM
I've read on here that SOME people have african violets that bloom all year around- which must be GREAT. But I received 2 African Violets from my sister-in-law roughly 2 months ago and they were'nt blooming them and they're not blooming now [Frown] ...how come some peoples bloom constantly and mine don't (or haven't yet anyway)?

-
Amber
by Sorathien on November 16, 2005 02:25 AM
how old are they? if they're "new" meaning the plants were just grown this year, they wont bloom for another year. also, you need to fertilize them to get them to bloom, and they like to be a little root bound. make sure they have plenty of bright INDIRECT light. direct light will burn their leaves. and get an african violet fertilizer that disolves in water. fertilize every time you water and keep them moist, but not soggy. make sure they have good drainage in the pots.
by Amber Petersen on November 17, 2005 12:01 AM
Okay, Thanks Sorathien, I DO have them in proper lighting, and I keep water in the bottom of the pot (inner pot is on some rocks) to keep them moist.I don't really have any idea how old they are since they were given to me. I will get some fertilizer (I know they take special fertilizer- can I get this at any plant store?) and you say to fertilize EVERY time I water?

-
Amber
by barleychown on November 17, 2005 01:14 AM
Also, they are temperature sensitive in regards to blooming. They are happiest from about 65-80 degrees farenheit. Too much heat, they stop blooming, and focus more on survival. I grow them by the hundreds, literally, and every one for them takes a break from blooming in the summer.

Just make sure it is receiving proper care, and be patient. It may have been recently re-potted, and is focusing on growing roots.

Good Luck! [wavey]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Why do they TEASE me?| Next thread: Why won't it grow? »
Back to Thread index