The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Check out my "albino" sunflower seedling!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by 'Sparagus on May 28, 2006 03:47 AM
At least I think that's what this is! This sprout is almost 2 weeks old, it's been in full sun but has not gotten green, or any bigger! It's peat-pot-mate sprouted at the same time.

-

-

Obviously something is very wrong here, but I kinda like the little thing [kissies] It will be interesting to see what becomes if it [Love]

These are just burpee mammoth sunflowers. Anyone seen this happen before?

Thanks for looking!

[flower]
by Jiffymouse on May 28, 2006 03:55 AM
very interesting. i'm waiting to see myself now [thumb]
by 'Sparagus on May 28, 2006 04:08 AM
Im going to plant it in it's own little pot and give it all the love I can [Love] It's a sturdy little thing!

[flower]
by Triss on May 28, 2006 04:30 AM
That is neat looking. Looking forward to seeing it as it grows up too!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weezie13 on May 28, 2006 05:14 AM
Give it a wee~bit of a Miracle Grow product
with a higher first number..

If it's not a truely "albino" I think was is happening, because theres' 2 seedlings in the pot,
the first one is getting all the nutrients..
and the second one is not, even though it's growing, *the seed when produced from the momma plant, gives it all the "juice" it needs to sprout and grow a wee~bit but then needs something from the soil to sustain it.. *
I think with the first one getting most of it, being bigger and stronger it's getting it all*

Sometimes I swear those peat~pots as they are bio~degradable and break down after a period of time, that when it's in the breaking down process it steals/robs the nitrogen.. but that is MHO!!! [Embarrassed]

Keep taking some pictures for us, this will be
veryyyyyyyyyy interesting to watch..
Thanks for posting this one!!! [clappy] [clappy] [thumb] [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Patty S on May 28, 2006 02:37 PM
Interesting, Weezie!  - Makes sense, though! I agree, about the Peat pots. I do start many seeds in them, but I after I've transplanted the seedlings, I tear up the used peat pots & leave them on the ground to be tilled into the soil, come the end of harvest.

I'll be watching this white Sunflower too! [shocked] (But Weezie may have ruined all the fun of it being white for now!) [Big Grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 28, 2006 04:58 PM
I was thinkin' of this post earlier today...
I had a columbine growing on the side bed of the house...
and it's flowers are purple...
but I noticed that part of the flower stem was stuck behind the outter siding and couldn't get out.. so I pulled it, and it was white!!!!
I couldn't believe it...

Now this was a day and a half ago...
but when I was looking at it today, it was starting to turn to purple.. it's rightful color..

So, something with the sun may also do it..

Dunno???

This will be fun to watch, can't wait to see how it turns out...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by 'Sparagus on May 29, 2006 12:47 AM
Good morning! Weezie, Ive had the same thing happen with the ivy I have growing on the house, when it makes it's way under the siding, it looks very odd and white when I pull it out!

So far I have removed it's sprout-mate, and today Im going to get it in it's own pot with some compost, and maybe a little grass clippings to counteract that nitrogen sucking peat pot! Dont want to rip it completely off, cause I dont want to hurt the little things roots!

We'll see how tough the other sunflower that was in with it is....I cut it off just below the soil, leaving it one little root!

So far Im sticking with my theory that this is an albino.....I have 2 and 3 growing together in pots and they are all fine, and if this one hasnt gotten green at all after 2 weeks in the sun....

Stay tuned for more updates!

[flower]
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 01:21 AM
I hope it does very well and even gives you seeds for more baby albinos.

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on May 29, 2006 02:51 AM
TK, wouldnt that be cool? Unfortunately Im sure nature didnt really intend for this type to make it, but hey who knows!
by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 02:56 AM
quote:
Stay tuned for more updates!

Keep us posted...I can't wait for more updates..
This is cool!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by plants 'n pots on May 29, 2006 03:05 AM
That is very cool, and I love the way you are mothering it! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by loz on May 29, 2006 03:32 AM
I gotta say I'm agreeing with Weezie....I've had a few seeds do the same thing before. But I'll be interested in watching it grow! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: