The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What's Blooming

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: What's Blooming| Next thread: What's blooming now? »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 04:05 PM
Now that we finally have some sun and warmer temperatures here everything is popping out. My corner bed exploded with color last week-end and my Nearly Wild Rose, Columbine, Candytuff, Dianthus and Euonymus make a colorful display. I expect the Peonies to open in the next week or two with the Astilbe, Lilies and Shasta Daisies following right behind to add even more color. In the back of the bed (not visible from this angle) are several varieties of the smaller Hostas since that area is pretty much shaded by the tree after 11:00.

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by plants 'n pots on May 26, 2006 04:10 PM
Very pretty and cheerful, Patti!
Also very pink, which I like very much! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 04:34 PM
Thanks Lynne, I guess I'm kinda partial to pink flowers too because it was my Mom's favorite color for flowers. [flower] She always liked the pink and white color combination in her pots and containers.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by jonni13 on May 26, 2006 04:57 PM
Realy pretty, Patti. Pink is not my favorite color but I can appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your 'corner' of the world.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by Deborah L. on May 26, 2006 05:52 PM
I'd love to have a bed like that ! I like it !

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 02:24 AM
Look at all the bud you have on your peonies. I can't wait for the year mine are like that. Do yours produce seeds? Or do you deadhead or use the flowers for cut flower arrangements? I love peonies. I bet you can tell that right? I'm glad your garden is blooming so well.

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 27, 2006 03:16 AM
What a great flower bed. It`s so pretty!! I love peonies. I have a deep pink one, but it only ever gets 1 or 2 flowers?? I thought it was going to get more this year as I could see tiny buds, but they haven`t developed. So I`ll be satisfied with my 2 flowers this year, too. lol I did move the plant so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for the pix. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by patches1414 on May 27, 2006 06:05 AM
quote:
Do yours produce seeds?
Oh geesh, I really don't know! [dunno] Being a teacher, I hate questions I can't answer, but I don't even have a clue on this one! [dunno] Sorry! [Frown]

quote:
do you deadhead or use the flowers for cut flower arrangements?
I do deadhead the peonies when they start to get get tattered looking and are no longer attractive. I used to cut them and put them in flower arrangements, but I quit doing that two years ago. The paved area in the right of the picture is the driveway into the church and school parking lot so it gets a lot of car, bicycle, and foot traffic. Well, when I was out in the yard one day a car stopped and the driver asked what happened to the big pink flowers in that bed because she had brought two friends with her so they could see them. [Cool] After that, I decided more people get to enjoy them if I just leave them there, so that's what I do! [Smile]

-
 -
by netwiz on May 27, 2006 06:48 AM
Your flowerbed looks wonderful! I'm still trying to decide what colors to use and pink is at the top of my list.

Joanne
by chenno on May 27, 2006 07:27 AM
So Pretty, looks like a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery:-)Love the colors!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by sad1199 on May 27, 2006 08:35 AM
I love your flowers. Very pretty and poetic with the bird bath.

Have a happy, loved filled day!!
by patches1414 on May 27, 2006 08:57 AM
Joanne, if you're looking for pink flowers I've got a loooong list! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] What zone are you in? [dunno]

-
 -
by flower frenzy on May 31, 2006 12:12 AM
Is it true that when you first plant peonies it takes 3 years until you get flowers?????

I just bought 3 plants and all had buds. The 2 pink ones the buds died and the white one still has buds, which haven't opened yet.
by netwiz on May 31, 2006 02:45 AM
Hi Patches,

I'm in zone 6 and have a mix of full sun, partial shade and full shade. Hoping to find pinks for all three areas. Thanks!!

Joanne
by Stuspot on June 01, 2006 05:36 AM
What a pretty garden area, Patches. Very nice, good job with all the pinks. I'd love to see progression pics throughout the summer. [flower]
by Squirrel on June 01, 2006 06:07 AM
We were out taking close-up pictures of the flowers that are blooming. Roses, Peony (1), Purple Passion Vine. Clamatis (1) Poppies, a Sweet William that is so dark, it`s almost black, just beautiful! My hubby picked that one. Good taste. My Dead Nettle is blooming and my Coral Bells. Maroon leaf with white flowers. The contrast between the two looks nice. The Dead Nettle gets lavendar flowers. Must keep it cut back as it is a ground cover. My shasta daisies have buds and some of my coneflowers. Isn`t gardening wonderful [Smile] [Smile] I look forward each day to strolling around to see what`s new and I`m hardly ever disappointed. [clappy] Wish I could share the pix with you all. Will have a dig. camera next year!! [lala] lol Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by patches1414 on June 12, 2006 11:13 PM
Here is a picture of my Coreopis that is blooming.

-

-
 -
by melcon6 on June 12, 2006 11:44 PM
Patches, those are GORGEOUS!!! [flower] [thumb] [flower]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on June 12, 2006 11:56 PM
Wonderful patches.

It's raining out right now but I agree walking outside to see what is blooming next is just one of the bennies of a garden. One of the sparkler ornamental onions bloomed a nice bright yellow and the one lone carnation bloomed too. It's a very vibrant salmon color. And the dusty millers are blooming. They take a long time to come to full bloom I was suprised. Then there are my Zinnias and delphia(sp). And my mini rose is just going crazy with blooms. And the double up impatiens has lots of blooms as well. And then there is the hosta. I'm loving my garden it is so cool.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on June 13, 2006 12:15 AM
That is such a nice, bright picture to wake up to, Patti - thanks for sharing it! I don't think I'm familiar with that one - do you know which one it is? The leaves resemble dianthus I think.

I'm trying to figure out the angle you took this picture in - are those windows, or glass on the ground?

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 13, 2006 12:23 AM
Thanks Mel! At least, I was finally able to post a picture of a flower that wasn't pink! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
walking outside to see what is blooming next is just one of the bennies of a garden
Actually, I think that's one of the best rewards for all the hours and work you put into a garden. My miniature roses are pretty sad looking this year [Frown] and I'm not sure they are going to make it. I can't imagine what the problem is because they have always been very nice before. I planted some inpatiens about four weeks ago and they are not really responding like they have in the past, [Frown] but perhaps the strange weather we've had around here has something to do with it. [dunno]

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 13, 2006 12:57 AM
quote:
I don't think I'm familiar with that one - do you know which one it is?
Geesh Lynne, if you are asking me for the genus, species and variety of Coreopis, I have no idea! [dunno] The mother of a friend of mine gave it to me and just told me it was a Coreopis.

quote:
The leaves resemble dianthus I think.

Actually, the leaves are larger than the leaves on a dianthus and spaced much further apart on the stem.

quote:
I'm trying to figure out the angle you took this picture in - are those windows, or glass on the ground?
The basements around here have little windows just below ground level to let the light in, so they have something called window wells. What you seeing here are plastic covers that go over the window well to help deflect water or rain from getting in the well and maybe leaking in the basement. [Frown]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on June 13, 2006 01:13 AM
Gotcha Patti - I was thinking that's what the windows were, but yours are sooooo clean!!! [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on June 13, 2006 01:53 AM
Patches gorgeous picture of the Coreopsis is probably Coreopsis grandiflora Sunfire or Sunny Day.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on June 13, 2006 02:00 AM
WOW, you're good Rosie!!!

Thanks for that! [kissies]

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 13, 2006 07:01 AM
Thanks Rosie! [kissies] When I started my first perennial bed my neighbor's mom would bring me flowers from her gardens when she came down to visit. She usually only identified them by their common name so that's all knew.

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 13, 2006 08:49 PM
Well, I guess we're back to pink because here's a picture of my Dianthus! I love these [Love] because they have such a heavenly, sweet smell and the scent reminds me of Carnations.

-

-
 -
by joclyn on June 14, 2006 06:38 AM
i was given some dianthus this year. they do have an absolutely heavenly scent, don't they!
by Rosepetal on June 14, 2006 08:31 AM
Great flower bed patches. Nice to see a picture.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by patches1414 on June 14, 2006 08:50 PM
quote:
i was given some dianthus this year. they do have an absolutely heavenly scent, don't they!

Yes, they do and I love it, [Love] but I think they still have to come in second after Honeysuckle for me! One of my fondest childhood memories is waking up to the sweet of Honeysuckle coming in my bedroom window. [Smile]

Thanks Rosepetal! I'll be posting more pictures as all my flowers dress up in their Sunday best to put on a colorful display! [flower] [flower] [flower]

We got a good, heavy rain Saturday night that really soaked the ground and we've had some warm, sunny days since then, so everything is finally waking up around my yard. [clappy]

Here are some of my Shasta Daisies that are starting to bloom! I am so excited! [thumb]

-

-
 -
by JV on June 14, 2006 11:04 PM
Patti you have some of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on June 14, 2006 11:35 PM
Very pretty indeed!!!

I don't think I've ever smelled my dianthus!
I'm going to have to get down there and give them a whiff! [thumb]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 05:28 AM
OHHHHHHH.... patches one prettier then the next.

I'm glad you can post these. We're having so much rain in our area that our plants can hardly grow let alone flower, so seeing yours made my day, thanks again.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by patches1414 on June 15, 2006 08:04 AM
Thanks Jimmy, Lynne and Rosepetal! [kissies] I really do enjoy my flowers and working in my garden. It's a wonderful way to get away from the stresses of everyday life and it's my way of relaxing. [Wink]

quote:
I don't think I've ever smelled my dianthus! I'm going to have to get down there and give them a whiff!
Lynne, I think you'll love the smell [Love] but maybe not as much as your Honeysuckle. I do have some Dianthus that don't smell but I didn't know that when I bought them. [Frown]

Rosepetal, I'm glad the pictures made your day and I'll be posting more picutres as all the different flowers bloom. I've got some lilies that are going to pop open in the next day or two. My 'Lady Balimore' and 'Kopper King' Hibiscus have buds but it may still be a while before the flowers open. [dunno]

quote:
We're having so much rain in our area that our plants can hardly grow let alone flower
I know what you mean about the rain. We had so much rain and cloudy, sunless days that I didn't know if I would even have a garden this year. [shocked] I was worried that some of my plants got so much water that the roots and bulbs would rot. I am still waiting for my Stargazer lilies to come up. I hope I didn't lose them. [tears]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 03:38 PM
Don't forget to post a picture of your stargazer. That is one lily I just love. Can't wait to see yours. [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 15, 2006 08:46 PM
Rosepetal, I've got other lilies ready to bloom so I was outside today looking for my Stargazer Lilies in the spot where I thought they were last year. [dunno] I'm not seeing anything coming up from the ground that looks like it could be them. [Frown] I don't know if I've lost them from all the rain we had or if it's too early. [dunno] Of course, maybe I've got the wrong spot. [nutz] I love them [Love] so I hope I didn't lose them, but guess I'll just have to wait and see! [dunno]

Anyway, here a picture of one of my Stargazer Lilies from last year and I'm really hoping I will have some to post from this year.

-

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 16, 2006 04:21 AM
Hey patches, [Cool]

Thanks a million, what a beauty, Flower Shop ones don't compare. MMMMMMM....I can smell it all the way up here. [kissies]

Thanks for posting this. [flower]

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 07:21 AM
Rosepetal, don't you just love [Love] the smell of the Stargazer? I am going to be so disappointed if mine don't come back this year. [Frown] I'm checking every day to see if I can see any sign of them. [dunno]

I try to plant flowers that have some scent to them because it's so enjoyable to go out in the yard take in all the wonderful scents. [Smile] I guess that's why I love my lavender and honeysuckle so much. [Love] They have all these air freshners you can buy but none can compare [Frown] to the natural aroma you get from flowers.

-
 -
by connickfan on June 16, 2006 07:32 AM
What beautiful flowers, Patti! [Smile]
by Rosepetal on June 16, 2006 10:32 AM
I agree Patti.

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 18, 2006 06:31 PM
Well, it seems a lot of my lilies have been are opening these past couple of days, but there's still no sign of my Stargazer. [Frown] Here a picture of some of the lilies which just have opened since the other day. [Smile] I hope they're still there tomorrow because we got some really strong winds and heavy, gutter-gushing rain tonight, [scaredy] so I'm sure all my flowers took a beating. [Frown]

-

-
 -
by Patty S on June 18, 2006 07:41 PM
Gorgeous, Patti! I only have 2 Lilies in bloom right now, in my Lily garden. (Everything is so slow this year, with the cooler weather we've had this summer.) [Frown]
It looks like we have some of the same kinds...
 -

Do you know what their names are?

-

(BTW, I always remove the pollen-laden stamins, so the blossoms last longer. I see that you don't do that.)

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 18, 2006 08:13 PM
Patty, I don't think your yellow one is the same as mine because yours is huge and it seems to be on a shorter stem. What a stunning lily! [thumb]

I don't know what kind mine are because I got them from Sarah's mom a few years ago and I didn't think to ask her. [dunno]

quote:
I always remove the pollen-laden stamins, so the blossoms last longer. I see that you don't do that.
No, I don't! [Frown] I also don't have a lily bed. I have lilies planted in all my beds and never think to do it. [Frown]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on June 19, 2006 02:03 AM
Patti, in regard to your Stargazer Lilies, has anyone ever mentioned their tendency to revert to plain ol' hot orange\red after a few years? I thought I was losing my mind the first year this happened to mine and I was not a happy camper. All of my other old Lilies have done the same thing so now I have lots of pretty lilies that all look the same. lol!
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 05:36 AM
NO, I've never heard heard of this! [shocked] What a disappointment that must have been for you. Of course, it's going to be a BIG disappointment for me too if that happens, [tears] but I guess it will be better than losing the flowers entirely.

I'm going to a presentation this afternoon by a Master Gardener and there's a question & answer session afterwards, so my hand will be the first one up. [dunno] I'll let you know what I find out!

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 06:45 PM
Rosie, this is what I found out today about the Stargazer Lily. She said that they belong to the genus Lilium which are the true lily plants and Liliums don't change color! She also said they should bloom for me in July or August.

Well, this gives me some comfort knowing they will not turn out to be red or orange and also that maybe I haven't lost them. [clappy] The only thing I'm still concerned about is I thought mine bloomed earlier than that, but who knows. [dunno]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on June 20, 2006 12:44 AM
Thanks for the info, Patti. I wonder if cross pollination from all the bees could be the reason I no longer have white, yellow, etc??? ALL of them are now the same color. Too weird! lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Rosepetal on June 20, 2006 11:03 AM
Thanks Patti and Patty [thumb]

Your lilies are soooooo beautiful. It's so great to be able to see your flowers. Thanks for sharing once again. [kissies] [kissies]

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 22, 2006 10:39 PM
Boy, it's really been blistering hot here the last few days but it's good for my flowers! [thumb] Everything is beginning to bloom and it's so nice to see all the flowers again. [flower] Of course, I think a lot of things are running behind schedule because of all the cloudy and cool weather we had this spring. [Frown]

Here is a picture of part of the perennial bed I have planted along the fence.

-

-
 -
by JV on June 22, 2006 10:57 PM
Very pretty flowers Patti [thumb]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What's Blooming| Next thread: What's blooming now? »
Back to Thread index