The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I'm New - Banana Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tropicallover on November 09, 2005 01:45 AM
Hello. Just got registered. I am in zone 5b in St. Louis. We grow banana trees and currently have approximately 35. Our problem is that we have to bring them in every winter. In the past we have always brought them in and put them under grow lights. The problem is that some of them are HUGE!!!!! Any other way to "winterize" them. [dunno]

Happy Tanning.
by mike57 on November 09, 2005 08:13 PM
[wavey] HI tropicallover WELCOME to the The Garden Helper fourm.Dig them up after the first frost,cut off all the leaves and stalks leave just the main tall trunk wash the soil off the roots then place them in a card board box or a tub will do.then place them in the basement or some place where it stays fairly warm above freezing.then in the spring after all chances of frost is gone re plant them then.water real well and they will do just fine it will take a couple of weeks before new leaves start to grow.this how i store mine for the winter and it works just fine hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57 [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by tropicallover on November 10, 2005 12:24 AM
I have heard of people doing that, but they are always the ones without trees the next year. I will try it out and go from there. Thanks a bunch.

Happy Tanning.
by margaret e. pell on November 11, 2005 04:53 AM
Haven't I read that there are a few frost hardy varieties? I'll try to find out. How did it happen that you live in zone 5b in St. Louis and grow full size banana trees? I shouldn't say anything as I'm growing quite a number of aloe that will eventually be low trees, not deciduous, and spikey! Such is life.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by mike57 on November 11, 2005 05:25 AM
You could allways build your self a green house [Big Grin]
I have trees every year.the ones without trees must not be storing them in a warm enough place.they will freeze and die if not stored properly.
your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by margaret e. pell on November 12, 2005 07:15 AM

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: