The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Do you save your Flowers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by chenno on May 25, 2006 06:22 AM
Hi

I was talking to a lady at the greenhouse, and she said she saves her ivy geraniums every year?
as well as several others? she said she trims them down and puts in basement?(after summer)
It sure would save some money? do any of you do this? If so, could you give me your how to's.
Thanks
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by tkhooper on May 25, 2006 07:16 AM
I brought my portulacas in last year and they did pretty good. They would have benefitted from being hard pruned a couple of times during the winter. These are sucullents so they can't be stored in an unheated garage or basement. But they overwintered fine in the house.

-
 -
by lilylu on May 25, 2006 09:43 AM
I took my geranium last fall..( it was in a large pot)in the house and just put it in my hallway where there is a lot of light and it survived all winter there....then I put it back out a month ago...it's getting new foilage now and seems perfectly fine.. [Smile]

"Seeing life through Rose-colored glasses!"  -
by Av8trx on May 25, 2006 10:01 AM
I brought in all my gerber daisy's last year - They were all thriving till I got anxious and put them back out too early - they didn't make it [Frown]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
by Mrs.Spud on May 25, 2006 11:17 AM
I thought geraniums could stay out year round, at least they did where I used to live. I had better learn the rules for my new zone I guess.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by joclyn on May 25, 2006 12:36 PM
zones make a difference as well as the variety.

i've got a hardy geranium that stays outside. i just bought a different type that isn't hardy in my area and i put it in a planter so that i can take it in over the winter.
by Triss on May 25, 2006 12:37 PM
Geraniums are good in warmer zones, but I do not think yours. I am planning on bringing mine in for the winter.

I have also brought in peppers to overwinter and am planning on keeping my hibiscus indoors but in a south window all winter as well. That is if I ever actually get it outdoors.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by chenno on May 25, 2006 01:31 PM
Triss

I think your right about warmer zones, at 30 or more below freezing in winter,I think bringing inside would be good, I just wonder if I am to cut it down and do the basement thing, or leave by a sunny window?

-
 -
Plutarch
by Triss on May 25, 2006 02:38 PM
I am going to try sun verses cool dark place for mine. Since I have huge south facing windows, I think I will be ok with that. If they fade away, I can always move them to a dark place. I am really hoping mine stay alive all winter.

-
 -
by chenno on May 26, 2006 03:59 AM
Triss

I will try the sun method too, let me know how yours does in winter and I will do the same.
Angie

-
 -
Plutarch
by Triss on May 26, 2006 06:25 AM
Will do Angie. I have 5 plants right now that I bought at a nursery as wee tiny things. They are now in 4' pots and doing well in the house on my shelf, near the widnow. I am thinking these 5 are going to go to the kids teachers, but I will get some more.

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 07:37 AM
We live across from a middle school and the teachers aways have their geraniums in the windows all year long. They seem to do fine no matter what direction their light is from. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 07:51 AM
I got 2 Geraniums this year that I`ve never seen before. I got them more for the leaves than the flowers, I think. The leaves are green, red, and yellow varigated. Just beautiful. I potted them and am hoping I can over winter them in the house. The leaves are used to make potpourri! They have a pleasant scent. They`re from the Brocade-Leaf-Geranium Collection and they are called `Mrs. Pollock`. Mine will get red flowers. But they add so much to my collection of planted pots in front of the house without flowers!! Wish I could do a picture! Sue

-
 -
by chenno on May 26, 2006 08:07 AM
Sue,

Wish I could see a pic of that too.
And Triss how thoughtful for the teachers,
I am working on a new dig camera as mine bit the dust.But, I will indeed try to save these babes!
Thanks for all input
Angie

-
 -
Plutarch
by Triss on May 26, 2006 08:47 AM
I looked it up. WOW that is an awesome plant.

Mrs. Pollock

-
 -
by preciousgreenfingers on May 27, 2006 04:17 AM
I didnt know this variety was called Mrs Pollock. I bought it from a plant fair recently as an after thought. Didnt know it could look so pretty. Mine is quite small as yet but now I cant wait for it to grow up.
by Squirrel on May 27, 2006 04:31 AM
Thanks for that pix, Triss! See what I mean about the pretty leaves? I think there is more than on plant in that planter. Sue

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: