The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recommend vining plants?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: recipes for one?| Next thread: Recommended light »
Back to Thread index
by GiselaT on April 03, 2005 06:14 AM
I have kind of a problem spot behind my house. I'm looking for some kind of climbing flowering vine, that will do well in partial sun. My neighbor put up a 7 foot wood fence last fall and I'd like something to cover it up (it's a really ugly fence -- I think they got really drunk when they put it up... [Frown] )
I need (want) to cover about 20 feet of it, but about 10 feet is under a tree and only gets sun pretty late in the afternoon.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Gisela
by tkhooper on April 03, 2005 12:19 PM
I went to my trusty dusty favorite nursery search engine and this is what I found.

Humulus lupulus 'Bianca' (Hops)

It's listed as zone 3, partial shade and can grow to 20 feet. there wasn't a picture for it on that site so I won't post a link.

-
 -
by loz on April 04, 2005 06:41 AM
How about a climbing hydrangea??? I saw some in Lowes the other day and wanted to buy one SOOOOO bad.....I just didn't know where I'd put it....LOL And that's a problem with me, I buy more plants than I know what to do with. They had them in Lowes for 6.99. It can climb as far as 60 feet by clinging aerial rootlets. And it has 6-10 inch wide lace cap flower clusters.

Writing this has really made me want one now.... [grin] Maybe I'll just get one and find somewhere to put it.... [Big Grin]
by plants 'n pots on April 04, 2005 03:00 PM
How about a honeysuckle? Or dare I say a trumpet vine? Both would attract hummingbirds!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by loz on April 04, 2005 09:57 PM
Just wanted to say that aren't trumpet vines invasive????? [dunno] I'm 99 percent sure that they are......pretty, and fast growing, but I don't know if I'd want to plant it......

Honeysuckle is very nice though. [thumb]
by GiraffeMSW on April 05, 2005 01:49 AM
I'm a bit warmer than you are...but when I lived in North Florida, I planted a trellis in an area very similar to what you are describing. I put a $0.50 pot of jasmine there (really no more than a sprig) and within 2-3 seasons it covered a 2ft x 8ft trellis and was starting to grow onto the house. It was on the eastern side of the house, between the house and a large live oak. Very little, if any, direct sunlight.

It smelled heavenly, as well as had beautiful dark green leaves and white flowers. [Smile]

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by tkhooper on April 05, 2005 02:36 AM
Hey tall one,

You make me wish I had some shade. That sounds fantastic.

Great Idea.

-
 -
by GiselaT on April 05, 2005 06:11 AM
Thay all sound good...
What to do, what to do? [thinker]

I wonder if i have space for all of those... [nutz]

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. That gives me a good place to start looking!

Gisela

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: recipes for one?| Next thread: Recommended light »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: