The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Frustrated

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by TC on July 08, 2004 02:38 PM
Hello all,

I am a newbie [Smile] and was told about an interesting way to grow potatoes. I was to take the potatoes, place them in a tire, and then as they grow place hay/straw on top of them. I was so intrigued by this idea that I thought I would try it.

So I got some old tires and proceeded to do this. Now these potatoes I would fertilize once every two weeks and with all the rain we have been having, I have had to water them very little, this summer. They were looking so good! So healthy and some I have 5 tires up on them!

I was so proud until recently I decided to see if I had any potatoes. Now these potatoes have bloomed so I just KNEW I had potatoes in there. But when I got curious enough to check, I had NO Potatoes. Grrrrrrrrrr We did get a bag of seed potatoes so they should have produced. At least it seems to me that they should have.

Why would they not have produced any potatoes? Does anyone know? I have to admit I got kind of mad at all the work I put in on them and to not get anything in return.

Thank you,

TC
by Phil and Laura on July 08, 2004 05:10 PM
Well I did the tire thing once, and I had really nice potatoes, but I never got the chance to EAT them. Mice went under the tires and worked their way through , and ate all of them! Now this may not be the problem, First, did you start with "certified" seed potatoes? If not, potatoes from the market sometimes will not produce spuds. Fertilizer, what type did you use? I am saving my tires again and probably will attempt it again, but first, I will add hardware cloth to the bottom of my stack of tires, By the way, Did you ADD a Tire and cover the plant to within aprox. 4" every time the plant reached above the tire?
by weezie13 on July 08, 2004 05:41 PM
The first question I would ask is........
When did you plant the inital potato plant?

Might it be too early for it producing yet???

And what type of fertilizer did you use???
(Name, and number's)

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plantlady19 on July 08, 2004 07:10 PM
Tires you say... Interesting. Might have to give it a go. [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Bill on July 08, 2004 07:20 PM
There is a section on growing potatoes in tires on this page.

-
by TC on July 09, 2004 03:47 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone, I did not think about the mice. I was worried about deer though as I live in the middle of woods.

The fertilizer is a flower and garden plant food it is 6-10-10 .. It is a muli purpose variety. It has done pretty good on my flowers.

I planted them oh... first april I believe. So they should have had at least something on them. I have seen them bloom and I have read online that after they bloom usualy 2 wks after there are potatoes.

I was told that the weather has been too wet for them to make would this make a difference?
by weezie13 on July 09, 2004 08:26 PM
Did you dig all the way down to the bottom of
the pile of tires???

Just curious??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on July 10, 2004 01:25 PM
YES TC, excessive water or rain will effect them.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: