The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avacado Seed how do I?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on November 07, 2005 08:31 PM
I have one and it's drying in the window. I really want to grow it in water like you see people do. But I don't even know what end goes in the water. Can someone tell me what to do please.

-
 -
by papito on November 07, 2005 10:51 PM
Check this link:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Kent Horner on November 20, 2005 08:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I have one and it's drying in the window. I really want to grow it in water like you see people do. please.
But I don't even know what end goes in the water. Can someone tell me what to do
by Kent Horner on November 20, 2005 08:40 AM
Pointed end up
by ceceharpo on November 22, 2005 10:16 AM
Hi TK, i just ate one and put it to dry a bit for my new son here to watch and learn with.

Ok, this is what I do with them. They do not need to dry out much, if at all.

I take my avacado seed, look at the two ends of it, one is soft and rounded with maybe a little bit of a tip to it, and the opposite is a little rougher edged, maybe even a whiteish spot, about the size of a pencil eraser, tops.

Ok, now you have a top and a bottom, take 3 toothpicks and a bottle just large enough at the opening to hold the seed and allow air into the bottle too. I usually use a cleaned out and sterilized olive jar or a single serving yogurt container.

Take the three toothpicks and about half way down the seed from the top, place the toothpicks evenly into the side of it, sticking it in about a quarter of an inch tops, just enough to hold. These toothpicks are just to hold the seed out of the water.

Place the seed into the top of the jar/container, resting the toothpicks on the top edge opening of the container, so the seed does not slip into the container.

I wish I could draw this for you, are you understanding in your mind my description?? I hope so.

Now place some clean, sterile water in the jar, place it either in a sunny window or under floro lights, and wait.

Change the water regularly, (once a day) this allows fresh air in the water which will be absorbed into the seed to help it germ.

It can take a while, up to three weeks even, but with patience, you will notice the seed shell crack, and then the seed itself will begin to open with crevices, usually two sided now, and within that crevice will be the germ starting. It will seem to be large and strong, but it is still as fragile as a tiny seeds germ, so be carefull when handling it.

Once roots begin, it is time to put it into some loamy, rich, well drained soil.

I hope you have fun with this. I have many many times.

Good luck.

Cece

cece
by tkhooper on November 29, 2005 05:02 AM
Thanks cece,

Mine hasn't done anything yet but it's got about a week to go and if that doesn't work I have another waiting to take it's shot at the growing space lol. Wish me luck.

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 29, 2005 05:16 AM
I was wrong it has a tiny root started on the bottom. I'm so pleased. I'm doing the dirt method. I can't wait for it to sprout. I know I'm so silly. I have 5 more avocados to eat and then they will be waiting for their spot in the sun. Hope the landlord doesn't know what they are when I plant them. I'm not suppose to plant any trees or shrubs. I just can't resist though. And if he lets the weed trees grow I should be able to have good trees there too. Or at least that's the thought lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: