The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

corn ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Corn!!!!| Next thread: corn »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on July 06, 2004 04:20 AM
this is the first time i have tried corn. my plants are probably chest high, nice and strong stalks, big leaves. anyhow, the biggest one is about maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick at the base. but about 1/2 inch up there are these little things growing out of it and down into the ground. i told my husband they look like toes! what is it? should i pack more dirt around it?
by obywan59 on July 06, 2004 06:08 PM
Those are prop roots. They help keep the corn upright in wind. I'm not sure if it's necessary to hill dirt around them as they will eventually grow into the ground. But, perhaps it would stimulate quicker growth of the prop roots???

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by hisgal2 on July 08, 2004 02:21 AM
Hi! I'm close to you....has your corn gone to tassle yet??? Our corn is about 6 feet tall....I think because I took a chance and planted early. I got lucky we didn't get a heavy frost. Anyways, I have some cobs growing, but haven't gone to silk yet and aren't close to being picked. I just wondered how far your corn has gotten. The Lancaster County corn is in and boy is it delicious!!! We sell it where I work. Just thought you'd like to know. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by pagarden on July 08, 2004 07:13 AM
hi there! well, mine aren't 6 feet tall that's for sure! WOW! well, i did get the tassle things on top (not even sure the real name for them! [Roll Eyes] ) on like 4 plants out of 18. on one plant i can see the beginnings of 4 ears! biggest one only about 4 inches. so no- no silks yet. but i can't wait! i just hope the bugs don't attack them all! and heck even if i don't get any actual ears of corn i am still gonna use the stalks to decorate my house for fall! LOL [thumb]
by hisgal2 on July 09, 2004 01:01 AM
That was my plan too! [Smile] I planted the corn as someone of an experiment to see how it would grow. I really didn't expect much from the plants. So this is a pleasant surprise. [Smile] Good luck with your corn!!

-
 -

-
by George from CT on July 26, 2004 05:33 PM
The first 3 rows of corn that I planted two months ago are about 2 feet high. My question is that they've already gone to tassle. Is that normal or indicative of something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
by George from CT on July 26, 2004 05:34 PM
The first 3 rows of corn that I planted two months ago are about 2 feet high. My question is that they've already gone to tassle. Is that normal or indicative of something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Direct email would really be appreciated

chec@cox.net

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Corn!!!!| Next thread: corn »
Back to Thread index