The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Iris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: iresine (red)| Next thread: Iris »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 23, 2006 01:59 AM
I got 4 little light purple iris and added them to the crocus and daffodil bed. Will they be all right there?

-
 -
by johnCT on May 23, 2006 04:20 AM
Sure! Why not. Don't plant them too deep.

John - Zone 6
by joclyn on May 23, 2006 06:21 AM
tk, are they bearded iris? if so, give them plenty of room to multiply! the other bulbs will be okay as if for a couple of years...after that you'll need to move something.

i bought some of the siberian iris...in late winter. never got them into the ground so i don't know how they do on multiplying.
by Triss on May 23, 2006 06:25 AM
Sounds like a great addition to the area Tammy. I am sure they will do well there.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on May 23, 2006 06:59 AM
Hey joclyn,

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a bearded iris and a clean shaven one. They are light purple does that help? And they seem short but I think that may have been because there wasn't very much dirt in the flower bed before they hit concrete. Two are currently flowering and they look nice. There were 4 in the clump.

-
 -
by Patty S on May 24, 2006 08:09 PM
quote:
I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a bearded iris and a clean shaven one.
[Big Grin] Funny! (Actually, you should never shave your Iris because without the beard, the bees and other pollen helpers won't have anything to hang on to, to stir up the pollen!) [grin]

On a more serious note... Tammy, All Irises come in all colors, so that won't help to identify them. Here's a link to a topic right next door, here in Plants and FLowers, that will show & tell you the difference between Dutch and Bearded Iris. Something that I didn't know at the time of those posts, is that while Siberian look similar to the Dutch Iris, they grow in "clumps" with roots. Dutch Iris have bulbs & Bearded Iris have rhizomes. (Five and six posts down from that post on the same page, are photos of Siberian Iris.)

From your description, it sounds like you have Siberian. They are up and blooming right now, here on the west coast.

-
 -
by joclyn on May 25, 2006 12:46 PM
tk and patty...you're too funny!! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: iresine (red)| Next thread: Iris »
Back to Thread index