The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP!! Questions!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Holly Stewart on June 30, 2004 03:54 AM
Hello! My name is Holly and I am brand new to this site. Also this is the first forum I have ever done. I was wondering if anyone knows why my tomatoes are splitting in the top. they did this last year as well and the few I have picked this year have the same problem. Also, they have blossom end rot I do not know if the 2 are connected. This is only the second year I have had a garden so everything is new to me. I live right outside of Charlotte, NC. If anyone knows please write back.
Thanks,
Holly

Holly
by Jiffymouse on June 30, 2004 10:45 PM
[wayey] hi holly [wayey] welcome to the garden helper

i don't know about the blossom end rot, but if i remember correctly, the splitting is from irregular watering. keep checking as we have some better garderners in here than i!
by papito on June 30, 2004 11:20 PM
From my Western Garden Book:

Blossom-End Rot stems from the plants inability to utilize calcium in the soil. Calcium becomes available to the plants only when the soil is evenly moist, so the most common causes of blossom-end rot are drought and extreme variation in soil moisture. The variation maybe from watering practices or from the weather. The other causes of calcium definciency include soil mineral imbalance, root damage, temperature swings and high soil salt content.

Mulching will help retain soil moisture. Watering deeply and infrequently instead of frequent light watering will help also, however, do not let the plant dry out. Avoid using high nitrogen fertilizers or fresh manure soil amendment; the manure can have high salt content. If the water or salt in your area contains too much salt, water more thoroughly to help leach the salts through soil.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Phil and Laura on July 01, 2004 08:16 PM
Hi Holly.. Just sing.. Just A Spoon Full of Epsom Salts helps The blossom end rot go Down [lala] [nutz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Ok, So Much for Humour, Place a tablespoon of epsom salts around each plant, about 2 inches from the stem...The rest Papito has Ya covered On! [wayey]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: