The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bugs need help FAST

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bugs killed my pine| Next thread: Bugs on cukes, what are they? »
Back to Thread index
by ClassicLady on November 01, 2005 02:26 AM
I need help fast. I am due to leave in a few days and I have what I believe to be a serious problem with plants that I brought in from outdoors for the winter. On top of the soil looks like "mold" but under a microscope I found it to be tiny white balls of cotton. (eggs) I am not my mother and bless her heart she is long gone. I don't want to lose my plants to a massive infestation while I am gone. I only knew to spray down the soil and plants with alcohol...
please can anyone advise?

see ya' some glad mornin'!
by RugbyHukr on November 01, 2005 02:33 AM
remove the tainted soil & add new on the top.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Jiffymouse on November 01, 2005 02:52 AM
might still be mold. some of it looks like cotton balls. but, if it is buggies, you can use a mild dish soap solution in the plants. won't hurt them.
by ClassicLady on November 01, 2005 04:44 AM
Thank you both, I will try anything and everything...

see ya' some glad mornin'!
by cLoud[GLPong] on November 01, 2005 08:52 AM
mild dish soap works for foliage really well... but i have a similar problem.. i find that it's actually mineral build up due to the water. what i do is just let the water sit out on the counter for about 24hrs ... since i started doing that it has stopped.. and it sounds like the same problem your decribing... however if it is bugs i suggest the above... except i'd completely re-pot with all new soil and throw the old soil out.. depending on the health of the plant...

- "i love this show!" - G.I.R.
by margaret e. pell on November 01, 2005 07:44 PM
All this yes, and isolate these plants from any others you may have. That way if anything does crawl out while you're gone, it wont crawl into the others.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Erich on November 02, 2005 12:27 PM
Remove the affected soil and replace it. I like to use a botanical pyrethrin spray on my plants (especially my succulents - they seem more prone to bugs).

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bugs killed my pine| Next thread: Bugs on cukes, what are they? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: