The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Some pictures of my accidental pumpkin patch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Meg on June 18, 2004 11:25 PM
I thought maybe Phil & Laura would get a kick out of these. Or anyone else who likes my accidental planting. [lala]
First, a front view-
 -
Next, a side view-
 -

And one more...
 -

So, there ya have it, my flowerbed of pansies... [Big Grin]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Sami on June 19, 2004 02:01 AM
That's funny! My next door neighbor does landscaping for a living. He brings cuttings & stuff home & burns them behind his house. Near his burn pile, this year, he discovered a "squash" plant. It has gotten huge! However, he found a fruit, picked it & cut it open...it's a pumpkin! He thinks when he thru his pumpkins in there after Fall, last year, he must not have burned everything good & now he has a pumpkins, LOL. It's absolutely HUGE!

-
Talentless but connected.
by afgreyparrot on June 19, 2004 02:30 AM
[Big Grin] Maybe if you plant some pumpkin seeds next year you will get pansies! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on June 19, 2004 06:26 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [clappy]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on June 19, 2004 01:51 PM
Hi Meg, Thats a purty pansy Ya got there! I can see a possibility of it getting to look Messy though, those lil squiggly things are tendrils they can be trimmed off, they are there for the pumpkin to Grab ahold of things, and it will start to wrap around the leaves and the vines and soon your punkapansy will look all Tangled. [Roll Eyes] Take a exacto or sharp tool and just whack em' off near the vine. The tendrils on my Giants are about the size of a crayon in diameter when I trim em', no need to worry, they heal themselves. You can also trim off the secondaries, they are vines that come off the main vine from the base, and even whack off the tips of the vines,(if you feel the need to keep your punkapansy under control) [Big Grin] [grin] [dunno]
by gardenmom32210 on June 19, 2004 03:36 PM
Wow,that plant is BIG! Any flowers yet? I cant wait to see if you get pumpkins from it!

Karen [grin]
by Meg on June 19, 2004 08:04 PM
Glad ya'll like my punkipansy patch..lol.

I will work on trimming those tendrils down, thanks. I don't know if I'd know a secondary vine from a main vine, so those may just stay...lol. I did look for the flowers.. noticed several male flowers, but did see a few female flowers in there as well. Actually, there is a picture of one female bud there, in that last picture with all the vinies.. it's kinda fuzzy, but if you look close, you'll see the "baby pumpkin" just below where the blossom will be. Debating whether I want to pollenate them myself, or let nature take it's course. My yard is nothing but clovers, and there's always bees around.

I had a nightmare last night, that the flowers suddenly sprung open on my pumpkins, and we were immediately swarmed by THOUSANDS of bees. [shocked] [Big Grin]

My dad says they are really hard to get rid of, that they will come back year after year. Not sure if I like that idea. He did confirm that my wild red berries all over the place, are wild strawberries, tho not ready for picking.

I think mom is jealous that I have peach tree in my back yard. Of course, it'll likely be a good many years before it'll ever see any fruit. And nobody wants me to plant the crab apple trees..lol. They make a pretty red flower, but the fruit is very messy on the yard.

Meg

-
 -

by Phil and Laura on June 20, 2004 04:07 PM
Meg, if you start at the base of plant and follow the vine(main) out, there will be secondary vines coming off it, not a neccesary thing to do, but it will help keep it confined, and not to dicredit anyone, but as long as you don't leave another pumpkin there, it will be gone next year, or at least I never "heard" of a perrenial pumpkin [dunno]
by Meg on June 20, 2004 05:11 PM
No worries about discrediting my dad..lol. He used to work some farms when he was a kid/teen/young adult, but he's 61 now, and he is going on old memories..lol. He recalled helping someone that planted pumpkins, on purpose, on his farm one year. Then for 5 years, the dang things kept coming back. LOL. (Maybe the guy just kept planting them, and didn't tell my dad!)

Anyways, I'm not going to worry about it now. Plenty of time to think about that later.

Last night, we saw one male pumpkin flower almost open. [flower] I will go out shortly to see if any other flowers are emerging. Can I say I'm kinda excited? [thumb]

Meg

-
 -

by Phil and Laura on June 21, 2004 04:38 PM
That explains It! Commercial or truck farmers who raise fields of pumpkins, by accident leave residue behind that would come up, BUT the large producers in my home state, row up the remaining crop and let them self seed the following year, this practice; however, requires the use of LOTS of pesticide and some heavy duty thinning in the spring. I found the first female this morning on my Big plant! [grin]
by weezie13 on June 21, 2004 05:44 PM
If I throw my Halloween pumpkins *the one's I don't cut up* out on to the compost pile in the back forty, it does re~seed for me too!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Meg on June 21, 2004 06:06 PM
I have a question...

Now, supposing that any of my female flowers make it to have pumpkins.. hmm.. not sure how to word this. Will the pumpkins remain small like the little one we kicked off the porch in the first place, or was it picked small? If we let them stay on the vine, will they get bigger than the one that the seeds came from? She had the original pumpkin from a pumpkin patch they visited on a school field trip, and were told to only take ones they could carry themselves, so she grabbed a small pumpkin, one that would be suitable for painting, but not carving. Just curious. I obviously know nothing about this stuff. [Roll Eyes]

I also took pics of my flowers- there were a few in bloom today. In the thread titled "pumkin flowers". [flower]

Meg

-
 -

by Phil and Laura on June 21, 2004 09:42 PM
Ok, I will try to answer this without being confusing. It all depends on...Genetics! If this came from a farm raising pumpkins for commercial sales, it was probably a variety picked for uniform shape and coloring. Varieties common are:
Howden- 13-15 lbs. avg.
Pro Gold -11-15 " "
Gold Rush-12-22
Appalachian-9-19
Magic Lantern-5-18
Connecticut Field (Big Tom)-20-25
Now, probably what You REALLY wanna know...all varieties will grow a Larger pumpkin, IF, you allow only ONE pumpkin to remain and develop on the plant. Other wise you will end up with several smaller ones, how many, again variety, or you decide and let a certain amount set fruit and pick the rest of the females that appear. Picking the pumpkin early, while it is small will result in a mushy, immature fruit, that will not keep well.There could be many reason's for the smaller pumpkin your daughter chose, But I doubt that the farmer planted a smaller variety if he was producing for market. Ask Him, never did mind, myself,Going on a farm roadtrip!Oh and while I'm here, even though you have many bees, you may still consider hand pollinating! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: