The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ranunculus help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by preciousgreenfingers on May 16, 2006 09:55 AM
Hi All,
I have been gifted a mixed planter that has a ranunculus plant- it is in flower with 2 buds. As the buds are opening, the stem is twisting around and the plant has started looking quite 'stressed' with yellow leaves. It is in a sunny spot and i am keeping it well watered. What do I do- pls help!
Many Thanks
by alankhart on May 16, 2006 10:44 AM
Ranunculus is a cool season plant. They are beautiful when they flower, but the foliage will turn yellow and it will soon go dormant and die back completely for summer. Just continue to water as needed and cut it back after all the leaves have turned yellow. Hopefully there are other plants in the pot that will fill in the hole.

-
 -
 -
by preciousgreenfingers on May 17, 2006 01:08 AM
Thanks alankhart. Another question-do I need to dig out the corm or just leave it in the pot for next year?
by alankhart on May 17, 2006 06:32 AM
If you are in zone 7 or lower you'll need to dig it out and store it till next year. Although they can often overwinter in the ground as far north as zone 5 with protection, it wouldn't make it in the pot.

-
 -
 -
by preciousgreenfingers on May 17, 2006 08:50 PM
Thanks again

Active Garden Forum