The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How much Epsom?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deborah L. on May 15, 2006 11:29 AM
I bought a carton of Epsom salts, and dosed my two container roses today.
Does anyone know how much to give? I put a handful atound the base of each rose, in a circle.
The pots are about 12 inches in diameter.
Also found aphids on the buds and new growth-I sprayed but also cut off the affected areas.

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 15, 2006 01:20 PM
Well, the info I have on Epsom is:

Houseplants: 2 tablespoons per gallon of water; feed plants monthly. Tomatoes: 1 tablespoon per foot of plant height per plant; apply every two weeks. Roses: 1 tablespoon per foot of plant height per plant; apply every two weeks. Also scratch 1/2 cup into soil at base to encourage flowering canes and healthy new basal cane growth. Soak unplanted bushes in 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt per gallon of water to help roots recover. Add a tablespoon of Epsom Salt to each hole at planting time. Spray with Epsom Salt solution weekly to discourage pests. Shrubs (evergreens, azaleas, rhododendron): 1 tablespoon per 9 square feet. Apply over root zone every 2-4 weeks. Lawns: Apply 3 pounds for every 1,250 square feet with a spreader, or dilute in water and apply with a sprayer. Trees: Apply 2 tablespoons per 9 square feet. Apply over the root zone 3 times annually. Garden Startup: Sprinkle 1 cup per 100 square feet. Mix into soil before planting. Sage: Do not apply! This herb is one of the few plants that doesn't like Epsom Salt. **This came from the Epsom Website**

-
by Deborah L. on May 15, 2006 01:53 PM
Wow, thanks ! Sounds like the handful I used was just about right ! [flower]

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 09:21 PM
Epsom Salts is wonderful and I've been using it on my plants for years. [thumb] I think you'll be pleased with the results. [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 10:04 AM
by belle in zone5 on May 19, 2006 12:45 AM
On the bag of empson salt will tell you also how much to apply.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: