The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hard Tack Candy

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Hard Sugar Candy| Next thread: Hard to find Morning Glory's »
Back to Thread index
by loz on December 07, 2004 04:39 PM
Here's a recipe I found.....the recipe we use is pretty much the same as this but my friend has it at her house since we always make it there....

HARD TACK CANDY

Ingredients:
2 c Sugar
3/4 c Corn syrup
1 c Water
3/4 ts Food coloring
3/4 ts Desired flavored oil extract
Powdered sugar to dust over the candy....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions:
Mix sugar, syrup and water in saucepan.
Stir until sugar is dissolved; continue to cook to 300-degrees. You'll need to buy a candy thermometer but they don't cost that much.
Remove from heat.
Add coloring and flavoring; stir.
Pour into 8 x 11-inch buttered pan. Make sure it's buttered pretty good.
Cut into squares as candy begins to set.
You can sprinkle with powdered sugar, it helps the pieces not stick together...

One tip: When we make it we bought a cheap pot to make it in.....we were scared of ruining a good one.....think we bought one of those dollar type stores for 4 or 5 bucks.
by Murphy on January 25, 2005 02:04 AM
Loz,
Here is the recipe I use for hard tack, it's really easy, and you don't have to watch a thermometer!!!
Microwave Hard Tack

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. flavoring oil
food coloring

Thoroughly mix sugar and light corn syrup in a 4-cup microwave-safe glass measure. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Remove from microwave and carefully remove plastic wrap. Quickly stir the sugar mixture and then cover with a NEW sheet of plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Remove from microwave, carefully remove the plastic wrap and stil. Stir in coloring and then flavoring. Pour syrup quickly, but carefully, onto greased cookie sheet score to mark squares: break into pieces when cool, dust with powdered sugar to keep from sticking, if desired.

This won't make as much as your recipe, but I like to make several different flavors so it works for me.
by 4Ruddy on January 25, 2005 08:50 PM
I haven't ever really tackled candy making..but it sounds fun! What is the best flavor to use?

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Sorellina on January 25, 2005 09:10 PM
How about one you like, 4Ruddy? [thumb]

-
by Jiffymouse on January 26, 2005 01:34 AM
mint and cinnamon are the easiest to find the oils for, and the most popular...
by Murphy on January 26, 2005 04:01 AM
I get my flavors at the pharmacy, there's about 30 different ones. My favorite is banana cream.
by 4Ruddy on January 27, 2005 09:07 PM
Well, the one I like would be cloves....but the banana cream sounds really good!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Murphy on December 15, 2005 01:12 PM
Is this the same as your hard sugar candy? The recipe I have here doesn't need a candy thermometer. Hope this helps.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hard Sugar Candy| Next thread: Hard to find Morning Glory's »
Back to Thread index