The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

overfertilizing roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Overcrowded daylilies| Next thread: Overgrown cedar hedge »
Back to Thread index
by RosyRuthie on May 14, 2006 02:10 PM
Hi everyone [Smile] Can anyone tell me what happens when you overfertilize roses? My rose leaves are turning kinda brown and getting brittle. I did put on a heavey layer of fertilzer granules. i might have put on too much. the leaves are falling off and turning brownish/yellow and having comletley cripsy centers. is this overfertilizing or something else? I didn't put on any more fertilzer than last year and didn't have this problem. I would appreciate any input
thanks so much!

Please remember to hug your kids everyday! [Smile]
by joclyn on May 14, 2006 06:15 PM
what's your weather been like? has it rained enough to keep the bush well watered?
by cinta on May 14, 2006 07:22 PM
I put to much time release rose fert on one of my roses in a pot and that is what happened. I was told I burned the roots. I think I killed mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on May 15, 2006 03:51 AM
yep, those are symptoms of fertilizer burn. it mimics the symtoms of no water combined with sun burn.

if the bush is still viable (has any green at all) you might can save it by flushing with water, after you remove any visible fertilizer.
by RosyRuthie on May 15, 2006 04:54 AM
thanks so much. the wierd part is is that parts of the plants are still blooming. thanks so much i watered them heavily this after reading the posts. hopefully they wont die. i wil have to be less liberal with the fertilizer.

happy gardening! [Smile]

Please remember to hug your kids everyday! [Smile]
by Sir Ts Princess on May 15, 2006 08:39 AM
I made my own rose fertilizer and never had any "adverse" side effects with it. Basically the "fertilizer" was 1 can of beer, 1 cup of black coffee, 1 tsp. dish soap. Mix about 1/4-1/2 cup of this with a gallon of water in a watering can. Feed via watering once or twice a month from Spring-Fall. During the blooming period, I would feed twice a month. I don't know why, but Roses are natural alcoholics...they LOVE beer!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Overcrowded daylilies| Next thread: Overgrown cedar hedge »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: