The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

EUREKA double bloom impatiens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Euphorbias| Next thread: Eva's Pride Peach......Watering? »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 14, 2006 12:17 PM
I found one I finally found one. I am so excited. It's a wonderful pink color. And the flowers look like little cabbage roses. It was the last one on the shelf today at home depot. I haven't seen any here before. The last one I got my hands on was back in Bremerton Washington in 2002 that one was white. Now the problem is of course that I never did find a seed on that plant last time and it wouldn't winter over in the house. So how do I get more plants from it? Please please help. I'm so excited to have one.

-
 -
by dodge on May 15, 2006 12:46 PM
Home depot ......Here I come.

I need one of those too.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on May 18, 2006 12:57 AM
I was wondering when you would find my post. lol. I hope to be able to figure out how to harvest these this time. I tried when I had the white and never did see anything that resembled a seed head or seed pod. Cross your fingers for me. I really really want to be able to propogate these. Maybe a soft wood cutting? We need the experts to give us a hand with this. They are just to hard to find.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 18, 2006 12:58 AM
I think I am definitely going to try a cutting. Here little garden siccors where are you?

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 18, 2006 04:14 PM
I`ve propogated them by taking cuttings and rooting them in water. You can pop them right in the ground and they`ll take. Good Luck!!! They are beautiful. Just like little roses. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 18, 2006 08:02 PM
Yep Tammy...
they do root so easily.. da single ones that is.. they r all i have...one is pink da other is reddish orange?... n one is red with little splashes of white...
:wavey:norhaini

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 12:10 AM
Thankyou so much for the encouragement. One has already gone soft on me so I cut some of the leaves in half and I hope it recovers. The other two seem fine so far. Do you remember how long it took to root them? And how wet did you keep the soil? The only thing I have luck with are the purple passion and I think they would root themselves lol.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 20, 2006 02:27 AM
Here is a picture of mine. Where you able to find any Dodge?

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 20, 2006 02:33 AM
I planted some seeds of those,
but haven't seen them peakin' thru the dirt yet.. [Eek!]
Those are very pretty Tammy..
*you know for the life of me, I can't remember
what color mine were* [dunno]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on May 20, 2006 02:59 AM
Hi Weezie,

Please Please tell me where you found the seeds. I've looked and looked for them and haven't found them. Two of the cuttings I took yesterday have already died so I really really want the seeds.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 20, 2006 03:21 AM
It was either a W~M or my local feed mill store,
to be honest, I can't remember which..
I know it wasn't expensive, like either .10, .25, .50 for the package, and those two places had the cheap ones...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on May 20, 2006 09:14 AM
Do you know if they were Burpee's brand? I bought some of those that were advertised as the double bloom impatiens and as you know I ended up with the balsam. So disappointing and only 5 seeds sprouted out of the total 50 in the package.

Well I hope all of your bloom and that they are the real McCoy and come in every color. That would be fantastic.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 20, 2006 10:06 AM
The seed company's name is.....
Page's LIBERTY GARDEN Impatiens~Tom Thumb
it was .25 cents, and it was at my local feed mill..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Squirrel on May 20, 2006 10:16 AM
Has anyone seen the yellow impatiens, yet. I got two last year but was disappointed in them. I got another one this year and put it in a hanging basket. I remember why I was disappointed last year. The flowers are under the leaves. But it`s perfect for a hanging basket for you look up at the flowers. They are different. First I saw them was last year. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 21, 2006 04:53 PM
Da cuttings dont take long to produce roots ...tho sometime they look withered as if they'd died ..but give 'em a little time they will spring back... just make sure da soil is moist n not too wet ...this plant does rot quite easily!!
[wavey] norhaini

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by twwright on May 21, 2006 11:35 PM
I was surprised by the lack of double bloom impatiens where you guys are then I looked and saw that most of you are from the Northeast area. Here in Texas we have tons of these plants at most any garden nursery. Lowes has a much better garden department than Home Depot here in Texas, near Austin, (Hook 'Em Horns!) and these impatiens are a necessity. They are so beautiful and do look just like little roses. In my front bed I have a long row of pink double blossom impatiens that have grown and grown. I've had neighbors walking by stop and ask what those are! I am very proud of them. It looks like I have babied them tremendously to get them to look soooo good. Truth is, nope. Haven't done a darn thing to them. Stuck em in the ground and left them alone. Think I put some compost in at planting time but that's it. Shame you guys in the North can't take advantage of the longer growing season and heat we have in Texas. Central Texas is a paradise, except in August. We can grow just about anything well except Peonies. When I learn how to upload pictures I'll send some out.
by tkhooper on May 22, 2006 12:55 AM
mine are dying. I went out today and almost tried. I guess maybe that's why they are hard to find here. I don't think I'll buy them again.

-
 -
by Stormysgrandma on June 07, 2006 10:25 AM
The gardener who developed the double impatien hybrid lives and runs his nursery in my city. I've been very lucky to have doubles every year for the last 8 or 10 years. He is also the one who developed the torenia which kind of looks like a snap dragon blossom but doesn't get leggy.

Stormy
by Stormysgrandma on June 07, 2006 10:27 AM
double impatiens can't tolerate sun, just like the regular ones.

By the way, they have developed a New Guinea Impatien that thrives in sun! I bought one at Home Depot yesterday. It says that it gets 30 inches tall!!

Stormy
by weezie13 on June 07, 2006 10:30 AM
Reallllllly, that's very neat...
That is very exciting...

I "almost" had a variety of my own..
It was a darker pink forget~me~not that had a
bright blue stripe down the middle..
*couldn't find any info on how to market it or anything..
and it demised before I could do something with it..
I was bummed...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Karrie on June 08, 2006 03:17 PM
I have 2 double impatients in the ground out front they receive most of morning sun. They are not looking so good. Should I move them to a shady spot? I got them but they had not tags in them regards to care just hand written tags with the name on them. They were so pretty pink and white stripped sorta. Name just said double impatients. My lil girl fell in love with them she calls them her baby rose bushes. I have been watering and miracle growing them but they are not blooming just right and are looking peeked. I was wondering what to do with them. Any suggestions guys?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Euphorbias| Next thread: Eva's Pride Peach......Watering? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: