The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grey mold on Gerber Daisies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Greensand| Next thread: grill recipes »
Back to Thread index
by connickfan on May 13, 2006 09:53 AM
Hi all - I'm new and I hope you can help me!

I bought some gerber daisies a couple of weeks ago and finally got them in the ground late last week. We had a LOT of rain early this week and last night I noticed that 2 of the 3 that I planted were looking rather puny. The leaves had little grey spots on them which led me to believe it was mold from too much water. I think that the spot I planted them in was a little low and water gathered under them and REALLY soaked the roots.

I pulled both of them out of the ground and moved them to a different spot that was a bit higher and water wouldn't have a tendency to pool around them.

This morning, I checked on them and one seemed to be perking up but the other just looked beyond all hope. [Frown] Is there a chance it can be saved? I'd hate to have to toss it after just a week in the ground.

Now that I have a bare spot in the bed from moving these 2 plants...is there a sun-loving plant that doesn't mind a lot of water?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Donna
by The Plant Doc on May 13, 2006 10:05 AM
It sounds like powdery mildew. Does it rub off the leaf?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by connickfan on May 18, 2006 02:47 AM
Doesn't appear to rub off...I just don't get it. I've tried them in several spots. I'm guessing they're just not getting enough sun. The spot gets sun, but I think that the gardenia bush shades just a tad in the afternoon and it's causing them to droop. I think I need to just put them in the back yard where there's lots and lots of sun and open space. However...after spending almost $20 on flowers that haven't lived a week, I'm not too keen on trying this AGAIN. [Eek!]
by Squirrel on May 18, 2006 02:58 AM
I`m having trouble with gerber daisies, also. Some thing is snipping off the flowers especially the red ones. They are in a flower box on my back stoop. I see squirrels up and down the railing but never saw one in the flower box. You`d think the leaves would be a smashed down if it was a squirrel. Could it be birds? Either way I don`t know what to do about it. But it is dishearting.

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 02:59 AM
Hmm, I haven't ever really tried to grow daisies. But, would it be possible to pinch off what is affected with mold? If not, try spraying them down with something "antibacterial". Sounds nuts, but mothwash will kill your mold. Mix some with a little water and spray it onto the plants. You could move them again...but something tells me that they've already been moved twice in a week, three times this week, might not be good. Your plants could be in shock as well as dealing with water/mold issues. Shock will make them look almost dead. So, I say tackle the mold issue. Leave them alone for a couple of days as far as watering. Them feed them a little bit of Epsom salt in their next watering. This might can help them to "pick up" a bit.

Don't know if I have much more info that can help you. I might *possibly* have something on my website, it's below if you want to take a look, but I'm still working on the site. http://lady_sensual.tripod.com

Best of luck with your daisies!

-
by connickfan on May 18, 2006 07:22 AM
Thank you for all the input! [Smile] I'm going to let them be. It is rather disheartening though....they were fine when I put them in the ground the first time and 3 days later....they were VERY limp. *sigh* I hadn't heard of the epsom salt or mouthwash treatment...interesting! [teacher]

Well, the good news is that everything else that I've planted over the past 2 weeks is doing well. [clappy] My caladiums are REALLY taking off and my teeny little begonias are starting to grow. Nice to know I don't kill EVERYTHING I put in the ground.
by Andi on May 18, 2006 11:20 AM
I'm also having the same issue on my gerbera daisy. Mine is in a planter on our patio table and doesn't sit in water at all. I've noticed the mold within the last few days (looks more like mold than mildew). It doesn't rub off. I've removed the damaged leaves but more keep popping up. The plant is gorgeous with several blooms. Anyone have any ideas?
by connickfan on May 20, 2006 03:38 AM
Just an update to say that my one and only gerber daisy is perking up! [Smile] I moved it into a much sunnier spot (apparently, the other spot was just a tad to shady in the afternoon) and on a bit of a slope. I came home last night and the flowers were sitting up nice and tall and same thing this morning - yay! I may have found the perfect place for them! [thumb] I'm thinking of getting 2 more to fill in the space.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Greensand| Next thread: grill recipes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: