The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pumpkin care

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: pumpkin bugs....| Next thread: Pumpkin cookies »
Back to Thread index
by Mikizinaniisii on May 27, 2004 02:31 PM
I was reading up on things that comonly make plants yellow. To much water or not enough is generally the cause. If the base of the plant is yellowing, (near the ground) chances are it is Nitrogen being leached from the soil. Mineral salts which are in our soil and water can cause this, by inhibinting the uptake of the nitrogen. Steer manures are high in salts and should be avoided. But it goes on to say that salts shouldn't be a concern because the rain pushes them down below the roots surface. I have a yellowing Butterfly bush and this is what started my search, but now my pumpkins are also yellowing at the base leafs. We have had so much rain, just in the past 24 hours we have had 2 inches and are in and out of flood watches. We live almost at the top of the mountain, so we should drain into the valley, but with the ground so wet already there is no place for all of it to go, and it stays sitting at my plants. Some of my plants are doing great, Rhodedendron, and azalieas to name two. But most are yellowing or as in the case of my bleeding hearts who didn't come up. My main concern is helping my sons Pumpkin plants, he has had a really rotton year with the school and this is something he is doing to help ease the growing pains he is feeling. I plan on trying to find a good fertilizer that has 10 - 4 - 2 on the label, unless you all here think this is the wrong thing to do? Any suggestions?

Miki [wayey]
by Phil and Laura on May 28, 2004 05:07 PM
Miki, unless you have added something recently that would be affecting your plants(all), i.e.; fertilizer or pesticide, I would say it was the rain has leached the soil. Everything here looks a little Pale and washed out, some yellowing, will hit everything today with the compost/manure tea, The fertilizer you use is your choice, but do not exceed the label directions, and the steer manure, chemical fertilizers are comprised of various salts, as long as it is aged manure I can see no harm.
by Mikizinaniisii on May 28, 2004 09:48 PM
grrrrrrrrrrr won't be adding anything for a while. We had flooding rains come through, and it is a disaster even on the mountain. We came out of it with a pool over flowing but still in 100% perfect shape, lots of standing water in the back, the pumpkins are now in a pond but we can see the tops of the plants. We came out of this unharmed and everything in tip top shape, my neighbors, and the main road in and out of the holler not so lucky. The road, a single lane paved road that twists and turns, climbing up and down, had buckled in places, and in one section half this single lane road dropped about 10 feet. Because we live out in the middle of no where, from the bus stop on, will be dealt with at a later date. They were however working on it when we took our son to school. (Can you believe the school excpected the kids out here, where there is no road to go to school?) Many of the bridges and culverts are washed out. My best friend, water all the way up to her front door. Everything in the garage ruined. I guess I will deal with the yellowing, once things dry out, as with all the water we have I can't see anything helping. (I will prolly use manure as I am not big on chemicals, but will manure put Nitrogen back into the soil as well as a chemical Fertilizer?)

Miki Thanks for your reply.
by Phil and Laura on May 30, 2004 12:45 AM
Miki, Yes they will, I know that You and your Son like to learn together, so I will P.m. you some info and links, as far as a General statement or TWO...In order for a plant to be properly fed, whether with chemical or natural fertilizer, the microbial life in the soil must first process the fertilizer into a substance and release it in the correct amounts that are perfect for a plant to absorb. In order for the microbes to perform this service, they must have energy. They are not in the presence of sunlight, nor do they have chlorophyll like higher plants, so the microbes must get their energy from decaying plant or animal matter in the soil.

A bag of organic fertilizer has all the carbon/energy to meet the needs of the soil microbes. A bag of chemical fertilizer has No energy. If organic matter is not already present in the soil, the chemicals can quickly become stressful, even Toxic, to the plants. This causes plants to be susceptible to disease and insect problems.

Organic fertilizers are believed to be slower acting than the chemical fertilizers. This is true to a degree. Being a lower NPK analysis and slower acting, organic fertilizers can be used in higher volume around plants without danger of burning. However, there are some organic fertilizers that are fast acting, such as bat guano or fish meal, that can show results as quickly as the chemical fertilizers do. They are still slower to burn the plants than the chemicals and last much longer in the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pumpkin bugs....| Next thread: Pumpkin cookies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: