The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

just went shopping...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by joclyn on May 11, 2006 01:40 PM
and i've some questions about what i got! [Smile]

persian shield (strobilanthes dyerianus) - will this survive over winter in zone 6b (or should i just keep it in a pot inside?) and does it do better in sun or shade (got some conflicting info about that)? what about watering? and soil?

geranium - pelargonium x hortorum. will i be able to bring this in for the winter (i'm going to be putting it in planters that will be kept on my porch).

hyacinth bean - the tag says it can be used in hanging baskets or in the ground and trellised. if i put it in a hanging basket - will it be able to be brought in for the winter? or should i not worry about it and just plant it and then grab some of the pods to plant seeds next year?

lamium maculatum (pink chablis). does this ground cover do better in shade or sun (i googled it and got conflicting info). how quick will it spread out? also, can it be rooted from cuttings?

thx!
by loz on May 11, 2006 01:52 PM
My parents always overwinter their geraniums and they make it through okay! [thumb] That shouldn't be a problem at all!

quote:
or should i not worry about it and just plant it and then grab some of the pods to plant seeds next year?
Yep, in most places they are considered an annual and you can easily collect the seeds from the pods for next year! [thumb]
by tkhooper on May 12, 2006 02:12 AM
hycinth bean aren't suppose to like being transplanted so try not to disturb the roots when you pot or plant it.

-
 -
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 06:43 AM
loz, this geranium says it's an annual. since it's such a different-looking thing, i'd like to keep it for next year (instead of having to buy it again...). how do you collect seeds from them? or could i do cuttings?

tk, that's good info! when transplanting from pots, i break up the root ball if it's badly bound; otherwise i just plop the thing in the hole - i'll make sure to just plop this one in without fiddling with the roots. thanks!!
by alankhart on May 12, 2006 09:18 AM
Lamium is a part sun to shade plant. I've noticed mine does better in morning sun and afternoon shade. They grow fairly quickly and can spread a foot or more in one season, and they can be grown from cuttings.

I'm in the same zone as you and my persian shield never overwinters outdoors. The ones I had in the sun got bigger faster than the ones I had in a shadier spot. They don't like consistently wet soil.

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on May 12, 2006 09:35 AM
Joclyn,

The Geranium *pelargonium x hortorum*
is an annual, but you can bring it indoors, and over winter several ways.. I have seen people leave them right in a very bright front window and leave them there, and I personally over winter mine in the base ment, it's warm and has one window and I have a shop light on it... it comes out spindly, but pinch it back it fills in nicely.. and my Granny used to over winter them by pulling them out of their dirt, shaking it off and hanging them upside down....

The Lamium Maculatum is a ground cover, very hardy, can be left out to over winter..
And what Alan said, it can cover alot of space...
from season to season... don't put it in a place
where you have other gentle plants that can be bullied...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 10:04 AM
weezie, i have a plant stand with lights. should i put the geranium there during the winter? i do have a shelf on it that i don't use the light - i keep the watering can and food on that one - would that be better?

for the lamium, i was going to put it in a spot that gets afternoon sun - just dappled because of the maple tree (which might be coming down and would be replaced with something else, so the area would still be pretty shaded). it's north-facing. do you thing that would work okay for it?
by patches1414 on May 12, 2006 10:10 AM
Weezie, with my geraniums I do exactly what you do [Wink] and bring them in the basement and keep them under shop lights that have both cool and warm bulbs. When I only used the cool bulbs my plants got spindly too! It's been a lot better since I added the warm bulbs. [Smile]

quote:
my Granny used to over winter them by pulling them out of their dirt, shaking it off and hanging them upside down....

I've had a lot of people tell me to do this, but when I tried it I really wasn't having any luck with it. [Frown] Of course, I was new to this gardening stuff, so I was probably doing something wrong! [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Triss on May 12, 2006 10:29 AM
Also on the geranium, if you want more plants, they take to root easily from cuttings. I have been told they do not grow true from seeds, but have yet to try that myself.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on May 12, 2006 10:42 AM
quote:
I personally over winter mine in the base ment, it's warm and has one window and I have a shop light on it... it comes out spindly, but pinch it back it fills in nicely..
That's exactly what my dad does with theirs each year....he just pulled them out of the basement a while back and they looked pretty spindly but now they are starting to look great again! [thumb]
by alankhart on May 12, 2006 11:08 AM
I think your lamium will be fine as long as it's getting some shade and not full sun. They can take drier soil, too, once established. They can look a little ratty after they bloom, so I cut mine back and they soon fill right back out.

-
 -
 -
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 12:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
Also on the geranium, if you want more plants, they take to root easily from cuttings. I have been told they do not grow true from seeds, but have yet to try that myself.
i might try cuttings...

the guy at the store made the same comment about seeds. he said some of these varieties (geranium as well as other stuff) are created in lab conditions and the seeds tend to revert back to the orgininal colorings due to cross-polination from bees...

oh, alan, that's good to hear! the spot i was planning on is the only area that gets a good amount of shade and this plant is perfect - it'll cover what i want to cover (pipe vents) but doesn't have a root system that would interfere...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: