The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Wondering if I planted this right

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Wondering....| Next thread: Wondering what kind of plant this is »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on May 11, 2006 10:20 AM
Hey there [Smile] We were given a pretty flower to plant in our yard by some friends and I am not sure that we planted it the way it should be. Each plant had three stalks and they are sorta starting to lean. I have attacked a photo in case that helps.

-

-

Thanks for any guidence, I love the flowers that bloom so I dont want to kill it!

Marina-
by alankhart on May 11, 2006 10:35 AM
You might want to stake the ones that are leaning so they don't fall over or even break when it rains. Very pretty asiatic lilies, by the way.

-
 -
 -
by joclyn on May 11, 2006 11:49 AM
yup, they are pretty lillies...are they the kind that have the pretty scent? i used to have them - years ago; shoulda dug them up and taken them with me when i moved.

i'd stake them - a heavy rain will knock them over completely if they're not staked.
by Marina on May 11, 2006 02:27 PM
thank you for the advice about the stalks I will definetly do that.

What should I expect this plant to do? Will it flower once and then die or come back every year? Do I leave it outside in the winter or somehow bring it in? will it spread or become a bush or something?

Sorry for all the questions I know nothing about growing flowers. I have killed every one I have every tried to grow inside, and this is my first outside attempt [Smile]

Thanks!
by Pianolady on May 11, 2006 03:50 PM
You don't have to dig up the lilies, just leave them over the winter (hardy zones 3-10). The bulbs will grow and divide. Just dig the clump up every three years or so, divide, replant, or give some to your friends!

-
by patches1414 on May 11, 2006 08:31 PM
I leave my lilies in all winter and they always come back. [thumb] I never even mulch them and you keep getting more and more every year. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by loz on May 12, 2006 12:03 AM
I love Asiatic Lilies...just planted a bunch more of them! [thumb]

They only flower once per season, so when they are done flowering that's it! Make sure you don't cut the greenery down, let it die back naturally. I've never had to stake mine and I've grown them for years.... [wavey]
by tkhooper on May 12, 2006 02:07 AM
Great looking flowers. You may want to add some other bulbs around them that bloom at different times so you have color in the flower bed all season long. Maybe some glads for summer and some ornamental onions for late summmer and then maybe some chrysanthamums for fall. I know those last ones aren't bulbs. But they do add fall color. lol.

-
 -
by Marina on May 12, 2006 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I've never heard of an ornamental onion.... I will have to look that up!

I am a bit disappointed to know they wont flower all season. We put them in a super prominent spot because they were so pretty. But now I might want to move them to make way for something with a little more longevity.

[Smile] Marina
by tkhooper on May 13, 2006 12:14 AM
The thing to remember about most flowers are that annuals usually have longer bloom times than perennials. There are of course exceptions like roses that bloom from late spring until frost and are perennials [come back every year].

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 13, 2006 09:45 AM
So pretty I love lilies too.

Just plant something around them that will start to bloom once the lilies are done.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by cinta on May 14, 2006 07:36 PM
I have daylilies in my bulb garden. You can get daylilies that bloom at different times of the season.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by joclyn on May 15, 2006 06:31 PM
yes, they only bloom once a season - the blooms do last a long time tho! and even when they don't have blooms, the foilage is nice.

cinta, do you have a list of the varieties and they're blooming times? i didn't know that different ones bloomed at different times...i'd like to get a couple more!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wondering....| Next thread: Wondering what kind of plant this is »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: