The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

orchids any and all advice needed!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Orchids, The Queen of Flowers| Next thread: Ordered my seeds !!! »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on October 06, 2005 10:46 AM
Ok I have ordered some orchids. I think they are lovely but have always been afraid to even go there, but today I decided to take the leap. So any advice or techiniques are so needed and appreciated.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on October 06, 2005 11:00 AM
Wow you are courageous. I haven't gotten up the nerve to try that yet. Please keep me posted on how it works out for you.

-
 -
by Karrie on October 07, 2005 10:19 PM
Well so far not so good! I got them on ebay they seem like a wonderful seller, but I cant find medium for them to grow in. ERRRRRRRRRRR!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by weezie13 on October 09, 2005 09:20 PM
I know they like Bark Chips...
Maybe I should move this post into
The House Plants section???????

I'll try it there for you Karrie...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Sorathien on October 09, 2005 11:51 PM
depending on the species of orchid, they're usually not that hard to take care of.

MOST of the orchids we keep as houseplants are epiphytic, meaning they need LOTS of air flow around their roots. so get some bark chips. they should have "orchid bark" at almost any plant store. it's out of season here, and they STILL have orchid bark at all the plant stores.

any porous pot will be good. you can try taking a normal terracotta pot and drilling some holes in the sides towards the bottom to make it into an orchid pot. the holes allow more air flow. make about 1/2" holes if you do go that rout.

make sure ALL the orchids are sitting over a tray of pebbles and water. they like humidity. and they like lots of indirect light.

and they need orchid fertilizer!

good luck. someone else can probably tell you more. that's all i know.
by Bill on October 10, 2005 12:02 AM
by mrs. rhonda grant on October 12, 2005 06:42 PM
hello
with my orchids, i took the plants out of the medium and left them bare rooted. i have them attached to a tree out side. i just give them a drink once a day. i've just started fertilizing
with a light mist.
ive had mine for a year now, and aout 8 day ago one of them began to get a flower shoot!
it's been growing at a rate of 1 1/2 cm per day!
i found my orchids need more light than what i was giving them.
god bless you, rhonda

GOD, please bless our plants and flowers. Let our new cuttings thrive. In JESUS name, AMEN.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Orchids, The Queen of Flowers| Next thread: Ordered my seeds !!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: