The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

picking the right orchid

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Sorathien on October 09, 2005 04:00 AM
what is a good, hardy orchid, that has a nice fragrance and pretty flowers? there's a local pet store/nursury that has a lot of orchids, but most of them aren't blooming. they have the latin names written on the pots though. there was one that was only $10, was rather small though, but i had no idea what i would get when it bloomed. because i've seen some almost ugly orchids, and then there's really beautiful ones that have no scent.

my mom has one that smells amazing, but i think it looks kind of weird. the blooms are bright mustard yellow, with ruffly-edged pettals, with kind of a brown/maroon stripe down the center of each pettal.

are there any orchids with GREEN blossoms? i think that would be neat.

oh, i was also planning on putting this orchid in a turarium with some other humidity and warmth-loving plants.
by Cricket on October 09, 2005 07:38 AM
The Australasian Orchid Society has a good selection of photos and descriptions of different species. I can't attest to the retail availability of different species but they are beautiful photos. So beautiful, that I might just have to bite the poverbial bullet and plunge into the world of orchids. Like I don't already have enough obsessions! [lala] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Cricket on October 09, 2005 07:40 AM
Oh yeah, I'm also interested in learning which are beautiful, hardy, fragrant orchids!
by tkhooper on October 13, 2005 02:27 AM
Me too and I need another plant almost as much as you do cricket.

-
 -
by Will Creed on October 17, 2005 07:49 AM
If you have not had extensive experience with Orchids, it is best to start with something basic that is easier than most. The Phalaenopsis (moth Orchid) is the best example and the Paphiopedilum (ladyslipper Orchid) is another.

Other more spectacular and fragrant species are far more demanding in their light, humidity, and temperature requirements. Learning to cope with the unique potting requirements of Orchids is enough of a challenge, so it is best to stay with the easier ones at first.
by Cricket on October 17, 2005 10:26 AM
quote:
Other more spectacular and fragrant species are far more demanding in their light, humidity, and temperature requirements. Learning to cope with the unique potting requirements of Orchids is enough of a challenge, so it is best to stay with the easier ones at first
Oh, Will, you would have to say that. [tongue] I love challenges! Now you know I'll have to try a "spectacular and fragrant" species even though I suspect they won't meaure up to an Epiphyllum's performance. [Love]
by MJP in Atlanta on November 22, 2005 12:42 PM
I bought an orchid at Target ($18 I think) in bloom and it did very well last year and rebloomed this year. My mother in law showed me a plant care book from the fifties which was very helpful compared to the two more modern books I have.

Orchids are either tropical or highlands.

Tropical prefer warmer climates, highlands cooler. Both like humidity above 60% but not excessive. Even though they like light, they do not like direct sun, need strong filtered light.

Repeat Blooming next year requires balance of long light +8hrs and temperature differences. It likes temperature changes between nights and days. Homes with AC/Heat don't have a high enough temperature change to initiate blooming.

Mine rebloomed when I moved it outside late summer, under a patio umbrella. Highs in the upper 80's combined with nights in the 70's or lower. Immediate evidence of new shoots for blooms within a few days of moving from home (steady 76deg) to outdoors.

Good luck
by Will Creed on November 23, 2005 06:36 AM
That is interesting information, but a little misleading.

Orchids are the largest plant family and are native to many different habitats including (but not limited to) tropical and cooler (usually mountain) areas.

For the more popular Orchids used as potted plants (Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum), 60% humidity is not necessary, although it doesn't hurt. Likewise the nighttime temperature drop is not so necessary with these Orchids.
by TomR on December 10, 2005 08:23 PM
Get an Oncidium "Sharry baby"! They smell like chocolate!

Oniciums are great. Phal are boring when not in flower. I can't seem to get mine to rebloom after 2 years trying and I have a great green thumb...

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: