The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flying pests

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: fly traps traps are shut| Next thread: Flytrap newbie »
Back to Thread index
by BeckyB on October 07, 2005 04:42 AM
I need help! I have some kind of ivy plant, I got clippings from my aunt. This is the third time I've tried to grow this plant. I always seem to get these little flies. I finally took samples to the local nursery and was told they are attracted to fungus, from root rot. I have barely watered this last ivy, many wilted leaves, but I still have these flies. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them and keep them away while saving the plant?

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by Will Creed on October 07, 2005 07:21 AM
Hi Becky,

Those are fungus gnats. They do feed on decaying organic matter and that is usually a component of the soil. If you are getting it repeatedly, then it is probably because the soil you are using for the cuttings is contaminated with the fungus gnat larvae.

Try using a soilless, peat-based potting mix and move you cuttings into this mix and use a small pot. Keep the soil barely damp, but not constantly moist.

The flying gnats will die on their own within a week. If you get rid of the infested soil, you shouldn't have any future problems. If you do, let me know and I will provide further treatment instructions.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fly traps traps are shut| Next thread: Flytrap newbie »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: